At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Would you like to lead a core engineering and product group that is modernizing an investment business that manages a $270 billion general account portfolio? Do you have the technology depth and business savvy to influence senior technologists, application teams, product teams, enterprise CxOs, and the market in general? Do you enjoy leading cross-functional teams, and developing/maturing mechanisms to execute and deliver ambitious business plans? Do you thrive in taking ambiguous ideas, opportunities, or problems and turning them into data-driven plans and initiatives to meaningfully impact enterprise and industry customers? If yes, then you should apply for this position.
As Vice President of Software Engineering and Product, you will have a great opportunity to help Northwestern Mutual build and create a strategy for our Managed Investment solutions. This position reports to the VP of Corporate Solutions and will also be working closely with other technology leaders in ensuring there is a solid strategy and solid execution of all aspects of solution delivery across all technology disciplines.
We are looking for a capable leader who has a proven track record of delivering business strategy, growing, and developing teams and who knows how to run high-performing teams and create an extraordinary engineering culture. The ideal person will be someone who can lead strategic initiatives and deliver tactically while demonstrating strong analytical and leadership skills. Strategic relationships for this role will span business partners, digital product, technology, and vendor teams.
Your core responsibilities are the following:
- Influence the business strategy and define the engineering and product strategy.
- Define how technology and product will evolve ahead of business needs.
- Deliver technology products according to business needs.
- Represent all of technology as a single point of contact for Managed Investments business partners and other stakeholders during strategy and delivery.
- Build, organize, and manage a high performing team and maintain good morale.
- Ensure engineering and product meets financial, compliance, security, quality, and risk goals.
Important experience and skills to have:
- This is both an engineering and a product role, Must have minimum 15 years’ experience in software engineering, in addition to at least one position in which you managed the end-to-end product strategy and team.
- Financial services experience. You will be delivering solutions related to public investments, real estate, securities, investment risk, etc.
- Culture is important. You should have a proven record of maintaining happy teams and building processes that lead to employee satisfaction.
- Aptitude in assessing and implementing leading software architecture and design patterns: DevSecOps, TDD, Domain Driven Design, CI/CD, etc.
- Aptitude in working with multiple stakeholders.
- Proven track record of modernizing legacy systems and working with a mixed portfolio of vendor, legacy, and modern applications.
- Experience with developing and implementing Cloud (AWS) based solutions
- Experience with data integration, data lake approaches, data architecture, and ETL tools.
Expectations and deliverables for your first 90 days:
- Reviewing detailed operating plans, architecture, technology, performance data, and personnel data.
- Meeting one-on-one with your directs and key leaders in your organization.
- Assessment of your organization at key interfaces (peers, stakeholders, vendors, etc)
- Assessment of your area’s business and technology strategy.
- Testing strategic alignment from the top down.
- Test awareness of challenges and opportunities from the bottom up.
- Before 90 days, formulate your broad strategy and secure early wins.
- After 90 days, be ready to execute on your broader strategy.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups