At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
What you will do:
This role is responsible for helping achieve the vision of Northwestern Mutual’s Strategic Investing Team by collaboratively building positive relationships between our portfolio companies and internal business partners at NM to the benefit of all parties involved. Has a broad understanding of the company’s strategic objectives, a desire to build a strong internal network at NM, and an understanding of and continued engagement with the evolving startup landscape. This role will support efforts to build connections across portfolio companies for collaboration and sharing insights. Make an impact to build Northwestern Mutual Future Venture (NMFV) brand both internally and externally
How you will do it:
- Partner with the Head of Platform in activating strategic partnerships between NMFV portfolio companies and internal NM business partners/stakeholders by owning the monitoring and management of these relationships
- Collaborate across multiple functional areas including distribution, technology, operations, and product lines to understand strategic priorities and build connectivity to portfolio companies. Requires conducting regular outreach to various internal groups and staying up to date on portfolio company progress
- Collaborate efficiently and in a timely manner with internal teams to provide high-level support to NMFV portfolio companies from implementing the onboarding process to responding to ad hoc requests.
- Serve as a liaison between internal teams providing consultative support to portfolio companies in the areas of PR, Marketing and Brand, Communications and Legal
- Complete and track efficiency of existing programming and events that increase understanding and connectivity between NMFV portfolio companies and our functional partners. Suggest solutions as needed to support increased understanding and connectivity
- Maintain and coordinate the communication plan developed to position the Strategic Investing Team as an inspiring leader in the startup ecosystem both internally and externally
- Work closely with our Marketing and Communications partners to support the creation and execution of various media including blog posts, newsletters and social media posts
- Maintain internal and external tooling (Affinity, Pitchbook, Conference and Sponsorship tracking) to deliver outstanding service to portfolio companies while staying up to date on the latest platform features and tools for portfolio and fund support
- Contribute to efforts to develop and deliver regular updates to key partners on emerging companies and potential disruption to Northwestern Mutual’s business
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Degree in business, finance, management or related field
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in operations with a strong preference for experience at a fund or startup
- Ability to develop a broad external network in the VC community to create a deep understanding of emerging trends in areas of investment focus. Preference for an already established VC or startup network
- Demonstrated ability to astutely understand work priorities and put into place repeatable systems to help manage and support complex projects
- Team player with ability to deal with ambiguity, work across many areas and provide innovative solutions to complex problems
- Dynamic and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working with DEI initiatives
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups