At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is seeking an experienced and agile Underwriting Manager interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice influencing the Company on a wide range of issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security.
What's the role?
As Life or Disability Insurance Underwriter Manager, you will lead the operations of an Underwriting unit through the ongoing development, motivation, and administration of underwriter staff and running of daily operations. Specifically, you will oversee/coordinate division workflow and manage New Business projects, customer service initiatives, work efforts and risk analysis of underwriters, with the goal of ensuring a customer-centered communication focus at the agency level.
You will participate, coordinate or independently lead complex projects to include major system and process improvement initiatives in the New Business Department. You will serve as communication liaison/resource, providing problem resolution with field management, advisors, company management, other companies and insurance departments regarding underwriting concerns and issues. You will develop, implement, and monitor customer service standards for agency-level staff.
Bring your best! What this role needs:
People Leadership and Management
· Plans, directs, and coordinates the activities of an Underwriting unit - maintaining departmental service standards and objectives with favorable mortality/morbidity experience and persistency at the lowest possible net cost
· Supervises and directs the work activities and risk analysis of underwriters. Performs all aspects of performance management and career development through goal setting, ongoing assessment and coaching
· Responsible for the development of underwriters through the referral process, individual instruction, case audits, and classroom instruction. Coordinates and implements new underwriting guidelines, practices, and procedures
· Participates, coordinates or independently leads complex projects to include major system and process improvement initiatives in the New Business Department
· Provides leadership to all aspects of these systems and process improvements including workflow, process changes and systems development initiatives
· Acts as a liaison to other insurance operations departments when implementing initiatives
· Executes change management and communication plans
· Develops, implements, and monitors customer service standards for the Field Force. Initiates communication to address and resolve technical problems with field management
· Recommends and implements improved service strategies/standards to address work efficiencies. (i.e. divisional workflow roles/responsibilities; work area layout/workflow)
· Coordinates, designs, and delivers field visitations programs and videoconference to improve Home Office/Field relationships and to communicate New Business practices and changes
· Manages the budget for respective units
Technical Leadership/Escalation Point
· Responds to complex/sensitive customer service complaints and questions in compliance with the National Association of Insurance Commission guidelines.
Desired personal attributes:
· Bachelors' degree and/or an equivalent combination of education or progressively responsible work experience
· Track record of obtaining results
· Demonstrated skills in relationship building, planning and directing work, decision-making, communication, and change management
· Strong project management skills with the ability to lead or manage departmental projects or process improvement initiatives
· Strong interest in people development with competence in staff selection, assignment, training, development, motivation and recognition
· Superior communication skills with the proven ability to build trusted relationships and successfully negotiate issues with the field, policy owners, and employees
· Minimum of seven years of operational experience preferred.
· Experience may include people management experience, Lead Underwriter Consultant, training development of underwriters at all levels resulting in performance improvements
· Previous life underwriting experience preferred
This position can be remote.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups