At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Life Insurance Signature / Authority Limits
5M Signature / 7.5M Authority
Builds relationships with Financial Advisors and internal partners. Develops the skills necessary to successfully underwrite Life, Disability, and/or Long-term Care insurance policies in an inclusive and fast-paced environment ensuring all quality, service and production goals are met.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Field & Client Experience.
- Responsible for credible and effective relations and communication with field and customer to include responding to case appeals/inquiries and assists with placing business.
- Provides guidance and assistance to the Northwestern Mutual Financial Network and Financial Representatives regarding case underwriting and risk appraisal.
- Responsible for prescreen inquiries.
- Responsible for the analysis and appraisal of a broad range of insurance applications; approves, classifies, or declines applications for various ages and policy amounts with occasional guidance, as needed.
- Uses advanced UW knowledge and expertise to provide the appropriate level of underwriting skill and mentoring to UWs.
- Uses advanced skills to review applications and adheres to underwriting standards.
- Solves complex problems and escalations.
- Advanced level of experience with NM product types and changes.
- Models change agility while maintaining mortality and morbidity expectations.
- Demonstrates continuous learning through the early adoption of new ways of underwriting.
- Proficient with Reinsurance programs and able to determine where to best place a case.
- Underwrites applications, maintaining industry-leading mortality and morbidity giving the best possible offer that can be made.
- Provides active case and requirement management and provides customized service with guidance.
- Demonstrates advanced ability to communicate & negotiate with Field Partners to explain modified or declined decisions & assist in policy placement.
- Provides advanced financial, medical, and lay underwriting assessments and offers innovative solutions to keep Northwestern Mutual as the choice of our customers.
- Actively utilizes the most effective means to obtain the necessary information, including Internet searches, direct contact with the insured, and communication with third party advisors (Accountants, Attorneys, etc.)
- Collaborates with medical directors and technical staff.
- Responsible for adherence to procedures and regulatory processes.
- Understands and meets all quality, service, and production goals.
- Partners with Underwriting Support for case management.
- Cross-Functional leadership.
- Subject matter expert in product process w/collaboration w/functional partners and participates in projects and department initiatives.
- Collaborates and designs P3 curriculum with L&D/Tech Team.
- A bachelor's degree preferred or demonstrated consistent success in prior Underwriting role as evidence by satisfactory case management and quality review.
- Minimum of 5 years of underwriting experience.
- Analytical skills with an established record to make independent decisions on complex cases and apply sound judgment in the application of rules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to handle confidential information, exercise tact, diplomacy, and resourcefulness.
- Proficient in computer skills and using various software packages.
- Ability to work accurately while maintaining speed and flexibility in a team and independent production environment.
- A high degree of organization and the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills and a high degree of self-motivation and initiative to lead projects or committees.
- Displays agility to manage multiple tasks and adapt in a changing work environment.
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups