At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
**No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!**
Who should apply
Enthusiastic problem solvers with a passion for understanding application design patterns and have a focus on automating work.
What this role is
As a technical, hands-on, Environment Engineer in the Test Environment and Platform Services team you will ensure our testing environments are running smoothly.
You will build out test application and environment virtualization capabilities, providing a virtualization solution that is easy and fast to implement.
You will expand the footprint of application and test environment monitoring using a suite of monitoring tools.
What you’ll get to do
- Work with a talented team of motivated test environment engineers.
- Build-out service virtualization efforts for a large array of on-prem and cloud (AWS)
- Develop test environment monitoring solutions that will benefit hundreds of developers and
- Troubleshoot existing testing environments.
- Look for innovative ways to automate manual tasks and add that automation into our existing
- Work with a wide variety of technologies and teams.
- Participate in the Agile events i.e. daily standups, backlog reviews etc.
- Interface with a wide variety of audiences across NM – the ability to communicate clearly is
A selection of technologies the team deals with is listed below. Experience with several will be beneficial.
1. Service virtualization
- Other similar tools
2. Monitoring tools
- New Relic
3. Other important skills
- API development
- Data modeling
- Pipelines (especially using GitLab)
- CI/CD tooling
- IBM mainframe technologies: TSO/ISPF, MCICS, JCL, Changeman
- IBM Websphere MQ
- Web Application Server
- Service Now
- Autosys / Control-M
- LUW DB2,
- Microsoft Sharepoint
- Within two weeks: understand the tools and processes for capturing and pulling work from a backlog, and demonstrate the ability to execute backlog items.
- Within one month, understand the virtualization tooling and processes used by the team. Have a basic understanding of the test environment monitoring landscape.
- Within three months, be able to Identify candidate manual tasks for automation.
- Within six months, demonstrate proficiency in provisioning and configuring testing environments. Have manual tasks automated with appropriate tooling.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- An innovative thinker who can communicate his/her vision well.
- Working proficiency of at least one programming language.
- A demonstrated ability to learn new tools and programming languages.
- Can move quickly and independently. Everyone here is incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and a helping hand, but you must be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
1-3 years professional experience required
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups