At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
As a Technical Lead who is passionate about SRE, you will be responsible for leading efforts to implement the SRE framework for on-premises infrastructure. Key to the role will be your ability to guide and mentor other specialists and establish positive relationships with application development customers. You will, with assistance, be accountable for driving organizational change. You will lead a team focused on SLI development, Automation, TOIL elimination, incident response, root cause analysis and monitoring improvements.
The initial scope will be technologies in the Database and Middleware spaces. The scope is likely to expand as the program matures. The successful candidate is an accomplished technical lead and hands-on engineer with a record of effectively managing multiple large-scale distributed environments. You should have the aptitude and enthusiasm for building and servicing highly distributed, scalable, and mission-critical systems. You should have a passion for automation and creating self-service mechanisms for customers.
- Provide thought leadership, influence peers in and outside of domain, vendor relationships, and organization vertical.
- Architect solutions that take into account, availability, security, compliance, privacy and legal requirements.
- Thoughtfully and practically introduce concepts and technologies from the industry to solve important problems.
- Bring together the work of many teams and individuals into a cohesive, achievable plan that aligns with goals and deadlines.
- Create solutions that are consistently successful across multiple dimensions, including performance, scalability, robustness and maintainability.
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers, along with assigning and suggest stretch assignments.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 2-4 years of SRE experience
- 6-8 years of professional IT experience including monitoring and performance management of systems
- 4-6 years’ experience with at least one OS/hosting platform, performance tuning of application stacks, OSs, DBs, etc.
- 3-4 years’ with Cloud based PaaS and SaaS platforms and integration points to On Prem infrastructure along with modern development and scripting languages
- Experience with CICD concepts, and tools, branching strategies and knowledge to assist in delivering an infrastructure as a product.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills within area of expertise, and in adjacent domains.
- Proven understanding of traditional or cloud computing technologies including Networking, Compute, Storage, Development, Data, Operations, or Security.
- 4-year experience in one of the following (AWS, Kubernetes, Linux, Windows) administration and configuration.
- Experience crafting, delivering, and supporting highly available architectures.
We offer the following benefits to our employees:
Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
Highly competitive compensation that include base salary plus bonus
Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program, and more!
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups