At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Senior Software Engineer [Java]
We are looking for an ambitious and talented Software Engineer to join the Field Rewards team at Northwestern Mutual. You will be building software that delivers value to our field force. The ideal candidate has a strong grasp of Object-Oriented Programming in Java and experience using the Spring framework. Engineers at NM are empowered to pick the right tools and technology stack to fit their needs. The team is using the following technologies to build software: Java, Spring Boot, Spring Batch, Docker, Kubernetes, Gitlab, SQL, DB2 (LUW and zOS), MQ, and SSRS.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
· Java, Spring Framework, Spring Boot, Spring Batch
· Gradle/Maven · Git
· Relational Databases – SQL
· JMS, JDBC
· Writing & consuming RESTful APIs
· Linux/Unix & shell scripting (bash/ksh)
· CI/CD experience (we use gitlabCI)
· Automated testing: unit, integration, regression
· Proficient in modern software design and development methodologies
· Ability to collaborate successfully and effectively with team members such as participating in daily scrum standups, pair programming, engaging in peer code reviews, and other agile ceremonies.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Skills (not required): · Docker/Kubernetes
· AWS terraforming
· Messaging technologies like IBM MQ, Kafka, Mule
· Java Script/NodeJS
· GitLab · ETL experience (Informatica)
· SSRS/Power BI Reporting
· Previous experience in the Financial Services sector (investments, insurance, banking, payroll systems)
· Within first month, while working with engineers on the teams, be able to jump head-first into new applications and ask the appropriate questions / do the appropriate research to identify the general functions and behaviors of the system. Begin contributing to minor backlog items.
· Within first 3 months, have proficient knowledge of the baseline applications and be able to take the reins around backlog items and appropriately spec and develop code to contribute directly to the GIT repositories. Be able to dive into the overall application distribution architectures and navigate the environments in which they run.
· Within first 6 months, be able to navigate the full stack of the applications and supporting components, contributing directly to engineering discussions that affect the current and future state of the applications. Essentially, contributing to the team at your full capacity.
· Career growth opportunities
· Highly competitive compensation, including annual bonus opportunities
· Medical/Dental/Vision plans, matching 401(k), pension program
· Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
· 100% Paid Parental Leave
· Extensive Professional Training Opportunities
· Excellent Work/Life Balance
· Onsite amenities include - free professionally managed gym, full free cafeteria, concierge service, health clinic, Starbucks, Collectivo, just to name a few.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups