At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Actuarial Software Engineering team at Northwestern Mutual is responsible for creating and improving systems that ensure the company can meet its financial obligations to its employees and field representatives. These systems are financial in nature, centered on benefit plans based on the professional knowledge of the actuary. The applications are varied, generally are mathematical in nature, and involve working in close partnerships with technical peers and actuarial business experts. The initial assignment will be within our mainframe team, with a focus on retirement benefit systems. This is an excellent place to start within this group, will help you build a foundation of knowledge about our benefit plans, and from there you can either stay mainframe focused or grow into other business application areas and other technologies. Regardless, you’ll be part of a team that plays a crucial role in ensuring this great company continues to do great things for its customers.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with subject matter experts and technical peers to translate business needs into software engineering projects
- Leverage technical experience to develop, create, and implement software changes that meet business needs
- Provide guidance and leadership to less experienced software engineers
- Strive to continually improve our core systems, with a focus on delivering excellence to the business experts who rely on your work
- Multiply the talent of your teammates by sharing your experiences and learnings and fostering a positive team focused atmosphere
- Bachelor's Degree in technical field, or equivalent experience
- 5 years of professional experience in a software engineering or application development role
- Experience developing solutions in team environment, with a focus on client needs
- Capable of communicating well with technical peers and business side experts
- Ability to perform peer reviews on design and resulting code
- Solid understanding of system design patterns and architectural concepts
- Mainframe focus initially with interest and ability to adapt to more modern tools if beneficial
- Experience developing and supporting mainframe-based applications preferred
- Experience with JCL, PL/I (Cobol Ok), SAS or similar 4th generation tool ideal
- Development experience with C# desired
- Experience with professional change management concepts and tools (e.g., ChangeMan, ServiceNow)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate technical topics to both technical teams and non-technical teams
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in C alifornia, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
Please note: Any wages or wage ranges listed directly on a specific job requisition or posting will supersede corresponding wage ranges listed within Pay Transparency Guide linked above.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups