At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, our vision is to deliver financial security to help our clients live their best lives by choice. A key pillar of our vision and success is our strong, vibrant sales force. The Career Distribution (CD) function is at the forefront of working across the home office and sales force as one team to achieve the sales and growth objectives the company expects, while delivering the experience our distribution needs and deserves. The Field Learning and Development team, part of the Field Talent Department within CD, develops and executes learning experiences that solve needs, change behaviors, and drive learning and adoption to drive growth and productivity throughout the distribution system. We partner with business stakeholders and our sales force to develop and deliver these experiences with a learner-centric approach. Field Learning & Development is at the heart of driving our field experience for our financial reps. By being a part of this innovative, creative and collaborative team, you will help educate and empower all levels of our field force to deliver financial security to their clients.
Reporting to the Experience Design Manager, as a Sr. Experience Designer you will consult, design and develop training deliverables to support enterprise initiatives that will evolve and enhance our field force’s skills, knowledge, and behaviors. Your strategic mindset and background will allow you to consult and deliver on a variety of modalities for field, including but not limited to: online and facilitator-led courses, videos, podcasts, motion graphics, virtual interactive training experiences, etc.
1. Consults with all levels of field and home office personnel, including senior management, and synthesizes various data and analyzes information, in order to identify training needs of Managing Partners, Managing Directors, all models of Financial Representatives, Field staff, and Field leadership. Determines if training is needed, leads and takes ownership for developing more complex training strategies and deliverables. Training areas include product information (including all risk and investment products), processes, sales (including sales cycle training for all field roles), markets, software, soft skills, leadership development, and culture.
2. Takes the lead in determining training objectives, researches, designs, develops, and implements field training projects, in order to develop the field and to sustain and enhance productivity. Determines what type of media is most effective in meeting training needs (online course, virtual training, school, interactive PDF, video, podcast, facilitator-led materials, etc.), while implementing the knowledge, observation, and practice model that aligns to the National Training Strategy.
3. Executes on the design and development of training solutions. This includes proficient use of course authoring tools (Storyline, Rise, Lectora, Inkling) to bring innovative technology to the forefront of our training experience.
4. Ensures the target audience’s training needs are met, while working within project deadlines and allocated budget.
5. Monitors feedback on effectives of complex programs after implementation, and makes recommendations and implements changes on future programs, including the adoption and reinforcement of behavior changes that’s needed.
6. Conducts research on existing and emerging technologies, as well as learning & development trends, to identify needs and makes recommendations for changes and enhancements.
7. Oversees the revision of existing field development resources in order to remain in compliance with regulatory standards.
8. Leads multi-divisional, departmental, and company-wide project teams in complex projects.
9. Mentors other Experience Designers.
10. Pilots training pieces in the field, observes training in current format, does on-location and virtual video shoots, interviews field, attends Annual and Regional meetings to represent Field Training and does other field visits as necessary.
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- Innovative and creating thinking that is collaborative in nature while leading with NM behaviors: deliver exceptional experience, solve for the client, be a talent multiplier, lead with enterprise vision, challenge the status quo, play to win.
- Expert in the use of various training technologies (Storyline, Rise, Adobe Creative Suite) with a strong background in Instructional Design.
- Proven ability in problem identification, creative problem solving, negotiation, and adherence to tight deadlines.
- Bachelors degree in education, instructional design, IT or related field is required, with a Master’s Degree in training/adult education/learning & development theory preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of training development experiences demonstrating a proven track record in researching, designing, writing, developing and delivering training programs with expose to a wide variety of insurance and investment related topics.
- Strategic lens on enterprise initiatives with the impact on the overall learning experience.
- Proficient with Learning Management Systems, specifically SuccessFactors, Workday, NM Connect.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups