At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
At Northwestern Mutual, we’re changing the way people think about financial planning. We’re redefining and disrupting the industry and changing people’s financial lives with better experiences and better technology. We believe in building inclusive, and diverse workplaces, where every voice is heard. Come help us build for the future!
The Sr. Director of Software Engineering is responsible for Private Investment Management Data and technology capabilities in the Managed Investments area. This role is responsible for leading a team to implement various business capabilities, including Private Deal Management, Investment Management, Asset servicing platform, and integration with the overall Managed Investments tech ecosystem for the Private asset management area. The role will be responsible for the critical front, middle & back office capabilities to accelerate progress in scaling private assets under management.
In this position, you will work closely with business stakeholders, product organizations, and enterprise technology partners to understand critical Private Investment management business challenges and opportunities. You will apply in-depth knowledge of asset management domain, vendor implementations, data and technology integrations and customizations, on-prem, cloud data and application technologies, architectural patterns, and frameworks to build efficient, scalable business solutions to meet Private asset management business goals. You will need to build strong relationships across Investment and Risk business organizations as well as technology partners.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Leads the Private asset management technology and data capabilities strategy and its implementation to enable Private Deal Management, Investment Management, Asset Servicing, Deal Analytics, Risk, and Performance Reporting capabilities.
- Provides hands-on technical leadership to build State-of-the-art technology capabilities for the Private asset management business and drive its execution to delivery.
- Responsible for new Private Deal/Investment management and asset servicing platform (Efront Blackrock product) implementation, customizations, and integration with existing Managed Investments ecosystem to bring efficiency and scale in managing and growing Private assets.
- Leads the talent strategy and development of the team. Responsible for hiring, coaching, mentoring the group, and developing future engineering leaders.
- Build an impactful culture and adopts NM's behaviors in bringing the best out of people. Leads with enterprise vision.
- Organizes talent and manages budgets for optimal business results
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive and instills these behaviors within the team.
- Collaborates with the business to understand business drivers, strategy, and critical business outcomes for Private Asset Management business. Establishes business-aligned goals and leads the team to meet the objectives.
- Acts as an ambassador and representative for Northwestern Mutual's technology organization in community and technology events.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- 9-14+ years of professional experience in Application development & programming across multiple languages, frameworks, Solution architecture, implementing large-scale distributed technology and data solutions (on-prem and cloud), and vendor implementations, customizations, integrations in financial services, asset management, Investment management, trading, risk management domain areas.
- 5+ years of combined experience leading engineering and product teams in the financial services industry.
- Proven track record in leading multiple engineering teams and their respective leads.
- Hands-on and conceptual experience with vendor platform implementations, customizations, integrations, and in-house software platform implementations to achieve business outcomes.
- Test-Driven Development Experience
- Experience providing direct constructive feedback and conducting periodic performance reviews for the team.
- Must have a product-focused approach and start-up spirit to implement and deliver business outcomes—experience with cultivating business relationships.
- Ability to learn and teach others and employs an organic approach to upskill broader organization.
- Can influence technology or business leaders on impactful issues and decisions. Takes pride in bringing people together for a higher purpose despite ambiguity and organizational boundaries.
- Strong communication skills at all levels (verbal and written). Ability to successfully communicate to technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and all levels of detail.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We a re an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, Ne w York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
Please note: Any wages or wage ranges listed directly on a specific job requisition or posting will supersede corresponding wage ranges listed within Pay Transparency Guide linked above.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups