At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual electronic search management is an essential capability for the organization and our digital platform strategy. Our team is integral to the customer, advisor and home office user experiences by:
- Providing real-time, highly available, sophisticated and exceptional search capabilities for our Field and Home Office users, handling over 4 million requests per month!
- providing a crucial privacy workflow for the Field allowing them to request and obtain permission to access client records.
- supporting existing applications and services related to the visibility, access and auditing of search records and digital account viewing agreements for the enterprise digital platform.
We are looking for a solid Software Engineering Manager/Lead Engineer to lead a small team while partnering with Product, Design, Test Engineering and others to deliver experiences which delight our customers.
- Dive success through our teams – leveraging our people’s strengths, making decisions based on data, identifying opportunities, and apply continuous learning daily.
- Expected to operate as a “player/coach”.
- You’ll need to learn our code, systems, processes, and operations by functioning as an individual contributor on some tasks so that you can help other folks excel.
- Understand key needs and opportunities and then propose solutions and systems to effect change.
- Steepen the growth trajectory of each and every engineer through mentoring and providing personal feedback on regular basis.
- Write detailed design documents and integrate feedback into said documents; likewise provide feedback for others.
- Write secure, high-quality code and integrate code-review feedback into said code.
- Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective and innovates on existing solutions.
- Deploy systems that are resilient, robust, and monitored
- On-call, evening and weekend work required as needed.
- Coordinate with other leads to align approaches for consistency.
- Interview, hire, and onboard candidates - as needed.
Ideal candidate, would have following skills:
- Built high-quality teams and systems.
- Advocate and practice lean leadership while driving to success.
- Experienced the strong psychological safety of a high output team.
- 6+ years writing software as an individual contributor – Java / NodeJS preferred.
- 3+ years production support responsibilities.
- Working knowledge of the Spring Framework and JUnit.
- Experience building/operating reliable, concurrent always-on data processing systems.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services – S3, SQS, DynamoDB preferred.
- DevOps experience is a plus.
- Experience writing queries and performing analytics with Elasticsearch.
- Working knowledge developing cloud based, dockerized applications and microservices.
- Working knowledge of front-end components and frameworks such as React and Node.
- Experience writing and debugging multithreaded Java applications.
- Experience with Github for source code management.
- Technical, must enjoy getting your hands dirty above and beyond the Java platform.
Who You Are:
- Good-natured, humble, and generally positive person.
- Collaborative team member who cares more about proper solutions than being right.
- Growth-mindset with a healthy dose of skepticism.
- Strong written and verbal communicator who errs on the side of over communication.
- Strong sense of responsibility with a bias towards action.
- Comfortable self-directing and prioritizing your own work.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision, yet actively interact with other team members in person or over the Internet (chat, videoconference, email).
- Fast learner and self-starter. The people you will work with are incredibly kind and extremely willing to share knowledge and a helping hand, but you have to be willing to take ownership of the outlined goals and make things happen.
- Work collaboratively on creative solutions with engineers, product managers and designers in an agile like environment.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups