At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager with an extensive background in Data Integration for our Test Data Management team. This role will help manage existing TDM resources, implement new technologies and tooling to further enable analytics and synthetics, as well as help drive scalable data sharing practices. In this role you will split your time between hands on development and managerial activities. You will own the test data tools, integrate with new technologies, and oversee the development of new processes that support engineering teams across the organization. You will gather requirements through direct interaction with business, as well our software engineering/test engineering partners. You will track the performance of our resources and related capabilities, constantly evolving our service offerings to scale our capability set to meet the needs of our internal customers as the maturity of the practice grows.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding communication skills, proven data infrastructure design and implementation capabilities, strong business acumen, and an innate drive to deliver results. He/she will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity and will enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Lead, inspire, and develop engineering talent for the Test Data Management organization.
- Foster a strong engineering culture, set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with other engineering and management teams.
- Lead/facilitate technical discussions for the software engineering group, be a subject matter expert (in industry and technology trends), and have strategic influence within R&D.
- Co-own and maintain product road map.
- Support agile / lean culture and self-organizing teams that develop solutions.
- Monitor team performance and results through quantitative and qualitative measures of value, outcome, velocity, engagement, and satisfaction.
- Develop and grow the team through training, mentoring, and coaching as their leader
- Recruit, hire, and onboards talent: ensuring the right mix of diversity and talent within team
Required Qualifications/Skills :
- A desire to work in a collaborative, intellectually curious environment
- 5+ years of software engineering experience building and/or leading product software development.
- 3+ Years of Data Integration experience with Oracle, PostgreSQL, IBM z/OS, etc
- Demonstrated strength in SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Expert-level coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Scala, Java, etc.)
- Have solid understanding of both relational and NoSQL database technologies.
- Experience mentoring and managing other Software/Data Engineers, ensuring engineering best practices are being followed
- Experience with hardware provisioning (on-premise and cloud), forecasting hardware usage, and managing to a budget
- Proven track record of sharing outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Linux/UNIX experience
- Experience with security standards like symmetric and asymmetric encryption, virtual private clouds, IP whitelisting, LDAP authentication, and other methods
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent people skills to partner with various key business stakeholders.
- Excellent awareness of Diversity & Inclusion – leading with inclusivity
Nice to Haves :
- Experience with visualization, data mining, or statistical tools
- messaging technologies like IBM MQ, Kafka, Mule, etc
- AWS terraforming
- Github or GitLab
- ETL experience (Pentaho DI, Informatica, etc)
- Previous experience in the Financial Services sector (investments, insurance, banking, payroll systems)
Required Education and Licensing :
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups