At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
We are looking for a results-oriented and driven software engineering manager to join the Field Rewards team at Northwestern Mutual. You will manage and lead a team of engineers to build and deliver systems to our field force. The engineering manager will partner closely with our technology partners, business and product areas to set timelines, establish and negotiate requirements and design and deliver products and features. The ideal candidate can come up with simple solutions to complex problems and sets the example for the rest of the team by directly contributing to results in creative and innovative ways.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides technical guidance and leadership to the teams.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and best practices across division/dept.
- Apply customer and engineering standard methodologies in order to analyze, design, develop, deploy and support software solutions to drive strong performance and high availability to meet/exceed customer expectations.
- Own and drive production issues to root cause analysis and resolution, including technical analysis and resolutions for escalated incidents, service requests, and problems.
- Coach and mentor employees to deliver continuous improvement, and develop their professional skills and capabilities.
- Able to plan, direct, and coordinate activities with team and stakeholder to maximize the tech team productivity. In addition, help resolve and removing any impediments team might face.
- Recruits, hires and onboards talent within respective team/dept., ensuring the right mix of talent within team.
- Bachelor's Degree in CS or an equivalent field
- 5+ years of experience leading teams using modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Proven track record of successfully designing and delivering significant and impactful technology solutions.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Capable of communicating between product, engineering, and the business.
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Knowledge of modern programing language: Java, Python, or NodeJS
- Relational Databases – SQL
- Writing & consuming RESTful APIs
- Linux/Unix & shell scripting (bash/ksh)
- Messaging technologies like IBM MQ, Kafka, Mule
- CI/CD experience
- Career growth opportunities
- Highly competitive compensation, including annual bonus opportunities
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, matching 401(k), pension program
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- 100% Paid Parental Leave
- Extensive Professional Training Opportunities
- Excellent Work/Life Balance
- Onsite amenities include - free professionally managed gym, full free cafeteria, concierge service, health clinic, Starbucks, Collectivo, just to name a few.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups