At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
As a Senior Engineer you will own the development and delivery of the features you are assigned. You will be joining a high-profile, well-functioning team that is part of our financial planning software platform team.
This team is working on the user interface of one of our most important applications. You will work closely with other engineers, design, product and business stakeholders to help craft solutions and build features to empower our financial representatives. You will work with partner teams to help create an amazing end to end experience. You will have opportunity to contribute to an open, collaborative culture where values are shared and performance is rewarded.
In this role, you will:
- Write high quality, well tested code in support of our systems and business value
- Work closely with design and product to help craft solutions and build features to empower our financial planners
- Work with partner teams in the larger planning group to help create an amazing end to end experience
- Mentor more junior team members
- Contribute to a collaborative environment of continuous learning and improvement
Our expectations of you are that you:
- Demonstrate technical leadership to the team.
- Establish, aggregate, and share team standards and best practices within the department.
- Utilize working relationships across teams within your division.
- Assess and provide solutions to system-wide architectural problems.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 4-5 years professional experience required
- 3-5+ years of experience working with modern engineering tools, languages and practices
- Demonstrated critical thinking, ownership mindset and continuous learning
- Experience developing solutions using agile methods
- Mentor for the team and department
- Advanced skillset in one or more technical platforms
- Capable of communicating between product, engineering, and the business
- Manages own time to meet objectives
- Ability to perform peer reviews on code and design
- Solid understanding of design patterns and architecture
- Strong testing abilities and understanding of pattern such as TDD
Solid experience with:
- Current front-end trends, best practices, and web standards
- React/ Redux/Sagas
- Knowledge of CSS and familiarity with front-end CSS frameworks (Foundation, Bootstrap, etc.)
- Automated unit and integration tests to support continuous delivery
- Evaluating third-party tools and frameworks
Understanding of/Nice to have:
- Docker and Kubernetes
- CI/CD approach, build tools
- Financial planning or finance more generally
- Risk products
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups