At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
A Sr Program Manager is responsible for overseeing a technical program.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Accountable for driving specific aspects of a larger program with medium complexity. Makes connections across teams to drive identification and managing of inter-dependencies. Drives for clarity on objectives, priorities and measures.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- A minimum of 6 years of professional experience.
- A minimum of 6 years of project management experience in technology and/or business functions.
- Experience with project management methodologies or SDLC (systems development life cycle)
- Working knowledge of project management / agile tooling.
Northwestern Mutual is transforming one of the oldest, most stable companies in America, into one of the most innovative and cutting edge. FXE (Field Experience) is our company engineering team that is focused on delivering technology solutions to our Financial Advisors. The Program Manager is the cornerstone of our technology team and will be accountable for managing the portfolio of technology mandate work required to provide the technology foundation for the applications that support our sales force specifically for our career distribution and IPS (investment product and services) applications.
- Leading and managing large, complex enterprise-level projects
- The projects may consist of multiple Agile teams and require integration with other activities outside the scope of the Agile teams
- Project Planning & Management - Define project scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value; organize and lead project status and working meetings; prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects
- Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work; leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work
- Process Management & Improvement - Define and manage a well-defined project management process and champion ongoing process improvement initiatives to implement best practices for Agile Project Management
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a project and business environment
- Solid understanding of complex infrastructure including server, data, and identity management technologies
- A proven track record of successfully implementing software or web development projects using Agile methodologies including 8+ years of experience as a Project Manager managing large, complex projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-function teams. PMP preferred
- Prior experience with SCRUM/Agile methodologies with enterprise-level application development projects. PMI-ACP, CSM, or equivalent preferred
- Experience overseeing multi-function project teams with at least 10-15 team members including Developers, Business Analysts, and QA Personnel
- Ability to identify and execute on creative staffing solutions for efforts
- Balanced business/technical background:
- Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible leadership to development teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues
- Ability to provide leadership to business analysts and collaborate with customers and develop strategies and solutions of high business value
- BA or BS or equivalent experience is required; MA or MS is a plus
Very effective interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Proven ability to lead software development projects and ensure objectives, goals, and commitments are met
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using appropriate tools:
- Agile Project Management tools such as Jira align or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with both business and IT individuals at all levels including the executive level
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the “big picture” view
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups