At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
What you will do:
This role develops a team of category leads who support Northwestern Mutual's (NM) businesses. Broad span of responsibility supporting multiple divisions/departments with a focus on the technology organization. Year-over-year, this role will be responsible for approximately $200MM+ in spend across a number of key suppliers and categories. Partner closely with key stakeholders within NM's Technology and other organizations. They will also build relationships with executives and work with stakeholders at all levels of the organization to drive strategic decision.
How you will do it:
- Builds strong relationships with business partners to drive Sourcing engagements and increase the influence/role of Sourcing Procurement within various business teams.
- Set a vision and execution strategy for team members and broader function.
- Define and direct performance objectives and career path/building opportunities for the team
- Lead all aspects of everyday execution of a broad profile of commercial and contractual engagements
- Influence leadership on best practices, process changes, market inputs, etc.
- Regularly update executives at all levels of the company on deal status, category reporting and provide continuous written and verbal updates to business partners, suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Take an enterprise view to ensure NM uses its scale with its supply base and assets.
- Category Expertise Lead Sourcing Strategies for assigned areas, change management and optimization of sourcing providers and programs.
- Provide strategic and tactical vendor management best practices and leadership for assigned areas.
- Partner with business leaders to establish supplier/product strategy for related categories and buys.
- Understand the business, the long and short-term strategies and the supply-base within the landscape.
- Lead projects/programs of notable risk and complexity and develop strategy for execution and implementation.
- Develop business cases with ROI, benchmarks, strategic fit and risk exposure to deals and sourcing events.
- Implement procurement/sourcing strategies; drive standardization of processes and procedures, supplier selection processes and ongoing supplier management. Develop negotiation strategies using cost/benefit analysis, should-cost modeling, market research, etc., lead negotiation efforts on purchase agreements and vendor contracts with cross-functional teams to achieve optimum results (i.e. costs, quality, terms).
- Lead, review, negotiate and approve contracts for assigned categories or business areas. Oversee contract escalations, planning, terms and conditions, renewals, and compliance and ensure payments align with contract terms.
- Perform contractual reviews to ensure all agreed upon terms and conditions are included. Ensure contract compliance, perform due diligence in preventing and managing risk to ensure vendor management compliance.
- Drive multi-vendor strategies to optimize NM's leverage and reduce operational risk. Executive RFx events effectively.
- Negotiate contract terms and conditions in partnership with Legal.
- Build strong working relationships with various cross functional groups (such as Law, Risk Assurance, etc) across the enterprise, monitor stakeholder satisfaction, and establish partner relationships to create synergies across accounts.
- Drive the identification and delivery of financial impact and savings for category and business area.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's Degree with an emphasis in Business, Accounting/Finance, MIS, Engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 12 years of experience as a strategic sourcing and procurement professional, preferably with a focus on Technology Sourcing and Labor supplier relationships
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience & leading the development and management of category plans or sourcing strategies
- Strong technology and professional services negotiation experience
- Proven track record to establish and maintain cross-functional relationships, influence change with diplomacy, and lead the decision-making processes
- Strong customer focus and interpersonal skills
- Excellent research, analytical, problem solving, planning and organization skills required as well as a high degree of personal initiative and motivation.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more.
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups