At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
As a Risk Selection Strategy research and analytics senior leader, the incumbent uses their business, domain, and analytics knowledge and experience to personally lead and supervise others who lead efforts related to mortality/morbidity research, automated underwriting program/tool development, underwriting requirements research & analysis, and risk classification structure development.
- Serves as an expert on digital and automated risk assessment capabilities – leads all aspects of development, deployment, adoption, and utilization
- Responsible for setting the direction of and executing on future-focused strategies to advance our digital risk assessment capabilities through the use of new data sources and advanced analytics
- Either serves directly as or supervises Product Owner(s) for digital risk assessment tools (e.g. rules, risk calculators, predictive models). Is corporately responsible for associated objectives and key results
- Leads efforts with data science and technology teams to gather and curate data, develop production-grade tools, and to define implementation requirements, connections, and reporting requirements. Acts as both a technical and business expert.
- Leads interdepartmental teams to identify risk and business process issues, constraints, and opportunities in using digital risk assessment tools. Cultivates innovative solutions to overcome hurdles
- Anticipates business and regulatory issues associated with using new data and advanced modeling capabilities in risk selection and works cross-functionally to identify interdependencies, develop action plans, and communicate deliverable implications
- Is responsible for enterprise communication, across all audiences, related to digital and automated risk assessment tools and their usage/performance
- Builds predictive models for testing purposes with a proof-of-concept focus to guide future direction/decisions, improve understanding of the underlying data or problem, and to inform/prioritize future engagements with data science team to build production-grade tools
- Consults on standards changes, requirements changes, and risk classification changes
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) or advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Data Science, Math, Statistics, or related field
- 8-10 years experience in risk assessment, actuarial, or data science / data analytics roles demonstrating continued success and progressively larger responsibilities
- Knowledge of advanced analytical model development and construction, including practitioner experience and expertise in one or more development or advanced analytical tools such as R, SAS, Python, Tableau
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional and inter-departmental teams including an ability to lead highly matrixed teams
- Excellent project management skills: setting context, defining objectives, prioritizing work, delivering results, tracking outcomes, engaging stakeholders, and delivering through the team
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating complex analytical topics across the spectrum from domain experts to those with limited experience to senior executives
- Visionary. Has shown a penchant for questioning how things have been done and has actively brought forth new solutions to old problems. Can clearly articulate a vision for the future and align strategies and stakeholders accordingly.
- Integrity. Understanding that just because we can doesn’t mean we should
- Deep understanding of the connection between customer experiences, sales processes, operational results, and long-term product value
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups