At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
About the team
Northwestern Mutual’s Client Experience Strategy team creates and orchestrates transformational strategies that are placing our clients at the heart of everything we do. This role will be part of a team of high-powered, aspirational leaders that embody and embrace Northwestern Mutual’s commitment to a best-in-class client experience and recognize the importance of being at the forefront of innovation in financial services.
We are actively seeking an energetic innovative strategist to join Northwestern Mutual’s client experience strategy team. We are looking for an individual who has experience applying client-centric insights to define industry-leading concepts, developing experience-oriented outcomes, and translating those outcomes into portfolios of work. The ideal candidate will be able to operate in ambiguous situations, think laterally with a future orientation, and make decisions in a data-driven manner.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
As Senior Director of Client Experience Strategy, you will be defining industry-leading strategies to deepen engagement and relationships with clients through financial planning. This role guides discussions with senior leaders in CX and the broader enterprise to help make strategic recommendations for innovative investments and with significant impact on the Company's future direction and performance. You and your team will sit at the intersection of consumer insights, strategy, and business planning & operations to bring our differentiated client experience to life.
Key focus areas include:
- Research our client’s challenges and financial goals as a driver for creating industry-leading, innovative ways to deepen engagement and build intergenerational relationships with clients
- Apply internal and external research (e.g., megatrends) to inform creation of a future state experience, which is directly supported by data and strategic insights
- Clearly articulate how proposed future experiences build upon Northwestern Mutual’s unique value proposition, incorporate changing industry trends, and create a competitive advantage
- Partner with our Design, User Insights, Planning, and Digital Product teams to define and visualize concepts, including understanding how it fits into our planning ecosystem
- Concept test new ideas with clients and financial advisors to validate market desirability and viability of solution
- Leverage our field committee and field research teams to target and spearhead conversations with our top financial advisors to learn their best practices and understand how proposed experiences would work within their day-to-day business
- Use structured problem-solving to develop and drive recommendations, create frameworks from scratch, and build business cases
- Serve as a trusted partner to cross-functional stakeholders, such as helping establish shared outcomes, including measurable OKRs that track progress
- Prepare and deliver executive updates, articulating insights and synthesizing complex ideas into crisp concepts and action plans
- Expert management and organization to independently lead distinct bodies of work and/or projects, including anticipating business needs beyond immediate next steps and connecting the strategy to execution
- Build the best people and environment to empower our team to shape our near and long-term CX aspiration
What this role needs…
- 7-10 years of experience in strategy development; demonstrated a deep passion for conceptual, strategic ideation that challenges the status quo
- Bachelor’s degree
- Deep industry insights in financial services, specifically wealth and asset management and insurance
- Demonstrated experience working with financial advisors including understanding their business model and go-to-market approaches
- Demonstrated experience working with Design teams to conduct user research and create conceptual artifacts
- Demonstrated experience working with Digital Product or delivery teams to translate concepts into a pilot or MVP solution for in-market testing
- Experience building relationships and working collaboratively with top executives and colleagues to identify and resolve issues
- Strong capability to evaluate and convert complex ideas into a simple, digestible format for all audiences
- Experience creating business cases and estimating long-term benefits and implications of new solutions relative to an organization’s business model
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience managing a small team and creating a collaborative, inclusive culture
- Ability to build project plans, manage to tight timelines, and maintain focus on delivering high impact work
- Consulting experience (preferred)
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups