At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Luna Engineering Team builds the design system (Luna) at the heart of the Product practice at NM. We build the design system tools used to deliver consistent, accessible, and cohesive experiences in our advisor platform, client portal, and home office experiences.
On this team, you can expect to work on high-value, high-visibility projects that empower the rest of our engineering teams to ship more efficiently, with more consistent, accessible, and responsive products.
On any given day, you can expect to…
- Contribute to the constellation of libraries, tools, and artifacts that comprise the Luna system
- Collaborate with experience and visual designers to create, document, and express composable UI elements in a number of environments (Figma, HTML/CSS, React, mobile native) leveraging system foundations and patterns
- Document and evangelize the best standards for markup semantics, accessibility, responsiveness, React architecture, and general Luna component usage
- Coach or train Engineering peers, throughout the NM Enterprise, on WCAG best practices
- Create and maintain A11y scanning tools & write accessibility test cases
- Write VPATs
- Conduct accessibility audits and provide recommendations to remediate non-conformance
- Provide support to Luna-consuming engineering teams
- Create and perform code reviews & API proposals for your peers
- Excellent written/spoken communication skills
- An open, proactively collaborative attitude
- A systematic approach to problem-solving
- Have in-depth knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Understand accessibility evaluation tools and methods
- Have working knowledge with the user requirements of people with disabilities
- Have working knowledge of accessibility verification tools, assistive technologies, and accessibility standards
- Experience with assistive technologies across multiple platforms, including screen readers, magnification, and read-aloud tools
- Mastery over semantic, responsive, cross-browser, accessible HTML/CSS & WAI-ARIA
- Knowledge of accessible SVG
- Understanding of advanced React concepts like context, controlled/uncontrolled behavior, hooks, and state management
- Comfortable working in the Browser ecosystem, including concepts like the DOM and CSS’s cascade
- Proficient with Git and the Command Line
- Track record collaborating directly with designers and non-tech partners
- Have worked with visual design concepts like typography, color, spacing, shape & form
- Experience with contributing to OSS
- Experience with native mobile accessibility (iOS and Android)
- Experience writing NPM tooling
- Ability to devise straightforward API choices given complex and parallel use-cases
- Familiar with Markdown, Semantic Versioning, Conventional Commits, etc
- Experience maintaining CI:CD pipelines
- Experience using design tokens
- Proficiency with Sass or Styled Components
- Deeply proficient in at least one: React, Web Components, Vue, Angular
- IAAP CPWA Certification
Things we value
- Curious minds and an appetite for learning
- Passion for the craft
- Proud of your work, but not precious
- Strong opinions, loosely held
- A collaborative attitude, thick skin, and an excellent sense of humor
- A personality that thrives in an agile/nimble environment
- Willingness to take risks and fail (and fail again. And again)
This position is remote friendly!
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups