At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
As a Database Administrator, you will work with data technologies, such as MySQL, Sybase, DB2, Kafka, Informatica, and others. A solid database administration background in MySQL running in AWS cloud is required. You will have a good understanding of DevOps practices, including the tools for implementing infrastructure using automation, infrastructure as code, and configuration as code. The role involves designing system solutions, implementing new features, resolving complex incidents and problems, responding to infrastructure monitoring and alerts, and consultation with application area. You will also have the opportunity to learn and work with other data technologies in the NM stack as engineering needs arise. Applying established standard methodologies, you will take charge of build decisions, infrastructure design for larger, more complex systems to achieve strategic objectives in the areas of service management, risk management and project delivery. As a strategic problem solver, you will move between diverse tasks with cooperation and persistence, helping to bring out the best in those around you. Critical to delivery is your ability to work as a collaborative team-member, lead through ambiguity, and willingness to relentlessly learn and improve yourself and those around you. Throughout all your activities, you will build quality into what you deliver and continually strive to put functional value in the hands of your customers quickly. To accurately support enterprise and department vision and priorities, you will be able to align your work to the long-term strategies and themes of the company.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 6 years of experience in Database Engineering/Administration
- Experience with MySQL DBMS
- Experience working in AWS Cloud
- Familiarity with agile frameworks (Scrum, XP, SAFe, Kanban, etc…)
- Scripting knowledge
- DevOps (Docker, Kubernetes, Git, Ansible/Terraform)
- Ability to automate everything including infrastructure as code and configuration as code
- SRE experience a plus
- Sybase or DB2 knowledge a plus
- ETL (Informatica, Kafka) knowledge a plus
- ELK stack knowledge a plus
- Basic proficiency with other infrastructure technologies - for example, Unix/Linux server administration, storage, data networking, etc...
- Ability to develop standard operating plans and procedures and mentor others in their use
- Experience with the application of database patches and upgrades
- Service Management (ITIL)
- Ability to estimate work
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with immediate team members, other IS areas, and clients in other groups
- Ability to effectively communicate issues and solutions across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated experience using project management methodologies
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups