At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· The innovation and discovery team is a group of data scientists focused on delivering incrementally new value to the business. One specific line of work is Next Best Action, a set of models identifying opportunities to deepen the client relationship with our financial representatives. Additionally, the team runs a variety of proof of concepts for new tools, techniques, and technologies and shares the winning ones with the broader data science and analytics organization. A successful candidate will have a strong technical background and ability to learn new technologies quickly. Furthermore, a keen ability to identify business opportunities that can be solved with data and predictive modeling is essential.
· Applies and integrates advanced statistical, mathematical, data mining, predictive modeling and business analysis skills and techniques to discover and identify new insights, predict and prescribe outcomes, advise on turning new insights into actionable opportunities and outcomes, and provide the tracking and measurement of results.
· Develop solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques, and robust analytics to support analytic insights and visualization of complex data sets forproductization and monetization.
· Interprets available internal and external data resources to develop and deliver information solutions, including analytical information.
· Applies creative problem solving and inter-departmental networking to address data and information needs across the enterprise.
· Shares best practices with peers through coaching and mentoring around core methodologies, patterns, standards and processes.
· Through a clear understanding of the assigned business area, utilizes technical skills to access and extract data from diverse sources residing on multiple platforms and implement large, complex data models and information solutions by combining, synthesizing and structuring data from various data sources.
· Drive innovation by exploring new experimentation methods and statistical techniques that could sharpen or speed up our product decision-making processes
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· Bachelor's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field
· 4-5 years of professional experience
· At least 4 years experience working in software or analytics related field
· At least 3 years of hands-on experience doing data science work
· Ability to write complex SQL queries
· Statistical knowledge and intuition
· Machine learning experience
· Experience with distributed databases and query languages like Hive or Spark
· Programming experience with a scripting language such as Python, Java, or Ruby.
· Proficiency with a statistical analysis tool such as R or SAS
· Ability to tell a story with data
· Ability and desire to mentor other team members through projects independently from start to finish, working with internal and external teams to make decisions and maintain momentum
· Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines; strong time and project management skills with the ability to manage detail work and communicate project status effectively to all levels
· Identifying data requirements for analytical needs
· Master’s or PhD degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field preferred
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups