At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Senior Data Scientist Job Description
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefited from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What's the role?
Who We Are:
Data Science and Analytics plays a key role in the Core Data and Analytics (CDA) organization. We leverage data to provide key insights, business intelligence and data science products that advance NM's strategic priorities.
Role and Responsibilities :
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be a part of the Accelerated Underwriting team that delivers machine learning models to support our corporate initiatives of making our application process faster and easier for our clients. Our successful candidate will be able to apply and integrate advanced statistical, mathematical, data mining, predictive modeling, and business analysis to discover and identify new insights. You will advance the work by helping to turn those insights into actionable outcomes. Through team exposure and interaction with business clients, you will be able to influence others by telling a story through data. Be prepared to visualize recommendations for forecasts, metrics, and complex data sets. Working cross-functionally with other data science teams, you will share best practices with peers through coaching and mentoring around core methodologies, patterns, standards and processes.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to :
- Develop solutions to support analytic insights using mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques and robust analytics
- Apply analytical and business knowledge in real-world setting to solve complex problems
- Access, gather, and analyze data from multiple internal and external sources
- Apply creative problem solving to address data and information needs
- Produce actionable visualizations that identify areas of improvement and displays root cause analysis of problems
- Present findings in a professional manner to leaders in the organization
- Bachelor's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field 5+ years relevant experience with a proven track record
- Master's degree or PhD in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics preferred with relevant work experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, SQL, or R
- Proficiency in cloud environments like Azure, AWS, or GCP including model deployment preferred
- Passion for problem solving, research, quantitative analysis, and analytical working techniques
- Innate curiosity and enthusiasm to dig deeper on issues found throughout the data science life cycle
- Ability to influence others with the story of what you're seeing in the data to make business recommendations
- Extremely organized with high attention to details
- Excellent time and project management skills, with the ability to manage detail work and communicate project status effectively to all levels
- Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups