At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This role is based in either NYC or Milwaukee, WI
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
About this role:
This senior copywriter position focuses mainly on Northwestern Mutual advertising, social media, and content. The ideal candidate for this role must be, first and foremost, a seasoned and talented copywriter. Secondly, they must be passionate about helping people live better lives through financial planning. Their job is to consistently deliver our brand point of view in our voice across all brand channels in the right tone. Always aware of cultural trends and current events in finance, this copywriter excels in conceptual advertising, script writing, and social posts and campaigns.
About our writers:
Our senior copywriters are curious and dig in to discover new and unexpected ways to educate people on personal finance and help them manage it. Our goal is to help people make the most of their money, so they can worry less and live more. A senior copywriter at Northwestern Mutual is socially-savvy and has mastered the art of connecting with people on a personal level through social media platforms, email, digital ads, among others—knowing what makes someone tick, and then ultimately click. They relish in relevance and love working and collaborating with other writers, designers, user experience designers, and more. We are seeking someone comfortable presenting copy and concepts that are fresh, strategic, and always on-brand.
Here’s what you should know if you want to be a Senior Writer at Northwestern Mutual:
On any given day you might:
- Take on the role of primary writer for social media posts, campaigns, and ads, as well as concepting digital ads, and video, and taking on some long form copy, including brochures, emails, landing pages, and more
- Craft copy for both business-to-business and consumer-facing audiences
- Tell stories that align with and build the Northwestern Mutual brand
- Collaborate with visual designers to turn culturally relevant insights into powerful and beautifully rendered work
- Work with producers, project managers, and business partners to make sure copy is delivered on time and in line with the team’s expectations
The ideal person:
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills, someone who can manage multiple jobs and projects
- Has ample experience working with and presenting to clients and managers of all levels
- Has outstanding oral, written, and presentation skills and a passion for the craft
- Can look at financial brands from a fresh angle
- Has strong knowledge of social media, email and website best practices and technology, and is experienced in print
- Has a collaborative work ethic
- Thrives in agile/nimble environments
- Is an experienced multi-tasker and is not intimidated by the thought of juggling multiple projects at once
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- 5+ years’ experience in copywriting for advertising, digital, and social
- Your amazing online portfolio (please provide a link on your resume)
- BA/BS degree in Advertising, Journalism, Writing, or related area of study
Some cool things to know about working with us:
Fortune 100 perks: You’ll have the opportunity to shape a Fortune 100 brand plus the benefits, bonuses, and career growth opportunities are pretty perky, too.
Sweet new office: Think all sit/stand desks, tons of efficient break-out workspaces, Zoom-ready conference rooms, game room (in NYC), fitness center (in MKE), stocked kitchen with snacks, coffee, and beers galore, and views for days (of both the Hudson and Lake Michigan).
Normal hours: We’re not beholden to the vagaries of clients (we are the clients), so you’re not working through Memorial Day, Labor Day, Turkey Day, MLK Day, Saturday and every other day that most people get to take off and enjoy. And for the most part, we’re done by 6.
Highest quality work: We set the bar high since we’re alumni of some of the best agencies in NYC. We only create work that we are proud of. Not all of the work will go in your book, but plenty of it will. The goal is to create award-winning work that rivals any agency.
Variety of projects: Not only will you have the opportunity to work on all sorts of projects and get some serious portfolio pieces, you’ll get to see them through to completion.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, Educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work in Colorado or work remotely, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups