At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Coordinates and implements communication programs, initiatives, and campaigns that align with Northwestern Mutual's strategic corporate communication priorities. These activities inform, educate, and influence a range of target audiences including the company's clients, prospects, key influencers, the field, employees and other stakeholders.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Responsible for auditing existing IPS materials intended for a field audience and creating new materials as business needs and priorities are identified. You will work with SMEs, business partners, and teams across the organization, plus other members of the IPS communications team and product marketing team who are developing and implementing communication plans to reach field, home office and consumer audiences.
Inform, support and influence a range of target audiences including the field sales force, corporate office employees, clients and other stakeholders.
Able to take ownership of organizing, tracking, and managing projects, moving between diverse tasks and teams with cooperation and persistence to keep projects moving forward with quality and accuracy.
Possess strong written and oral communication skills, demonstrate a solid understanding of marketing and communication principles and best practices, and be able to gain alignment across key stakeholders.
Focus on materials that reach primarily a field audience – advisors, teams and field leaders.
Identify metrics to measure the effectiveness of communication and asses the return on communication investment.
Recommends, develops, implements and maintains communication standards for department. Assures that quality standards are present in departmental communications.
Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree - in communication, marketing, journalism or public relations
- 6 or more years of progressive experience professional communication, marketing, organizational communications or related communication field
Strong written and verbal communication skills (writing, speaking, listening, influencing), with the ability to influence without authority and manage through ambiguity
Ability to absorb information and convert to an understandable format.
Ability to solve problems and analyze possible solutions to make business decisions.
Understanding of and experience implementing fundamental communications and marketing principles, including audience understanding, message alignment, analytics and branding
- Ability to successfully engage and guide creative teams (may include writers, designers, external consultants, etc.) to plan, develop and implement communications initiatives and projects
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects and deadlines in fast-paced, team and independent environments; keeps items on track, within budget and at required level of quality.
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and build credibility and strong partnerships in matrixed organization across business functions and levels
- Resourceful and capable of navigating through complex business challenges; comfortable in situations where roles are not clearly defined
- Works independently where possible; manages significant workload; not afraid to take charge to get things done; follows through on commitments to achieve results
- Strong understanding and/or background in the wealth management, brokerage or financial services industry
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups