At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
What you will do:
This role is part of the Treasury Risk Investment Ops Analytics & Data organization and will own the entire cash management process including the development of systems for effective collections or revenues and payment obligations. Responsible for providing leadership and direction to ensure designated cash processing, reconciliation and reporting are done on time and accurately. This person will also oversee implementation of Treasury initiatives and process improvements.
How you will do it:
- Works independently to set the daily cash position and fund daily investment and insurance operational activity for Northwestern Mutual, operating and the investment subsidiaries.
- Recognizes and resolves issues related to unmatched forecasted cash activity.
- Provides insights on cash trends in the portfolios, investigating and resolving discrepancies, and create measures and metrics to enhance future forecasts.
- Recommends short term investments for the subsidiaries and makes sound technical decisions.
- Addresses system problems, and trouble shoot data file inconsistencies and/or treasury workstation system deficiencies.
- Interprets Treasury needs when acting as the subject matter expert on divisional projects, and cross departmental initiatives to explain cash management concepts and deliver optimal solutions.
- Possesses advanced investment knowledge on security asset classes, terminology, and the settlement process. Including, but not limited to derivatives, money market funds, mutual funds, fixed income instruments, private equity, public common stock, real estate equity, and mortgage loans.
- Understands TMS and data flows.
- Programs and extracts data from TMS to facilitate cashflow forecasting and liquidity needs.
- Enhances and/or develops cash reporting templates to be utilized by the Treasury team.
- Leads planning activity to provide support for reporting of the Spread Lending debt program (Federal Home Loan Bank, FABN, Surplus Notes).
- Understands the working cash report and incorporates information on newly acquired assets into the working cash report.
- Deep working knowledge of all cash reporting to key investment personnel.
- Understands and ties data to the 90 day and liquidity forecasting reports. Produces the annual bank fee budget.
Subject Matter Expert
- Acts as a resource for colleagues. Provides training, coaching, mentoring, and guidance to less experienced staff.
- Stays abreast of external market conditions, industry changes, or other macro events that impacts cash flow, and can determine the appropriate course of action as it relates to the allocation of operating cash.
- Briefs, consults, and presents information to deepen knowledge and recommend best practices to reserve, restricted, and strategic cash flow.
- Leads meetings with multi-departmental partners to discuss investment subsidiary cash strategies.
- Uses defined procedures to validate bank account ownership as part of the company’s fraud controls.
- Assists in the recovery and provide payment insights into fraud investigations.
- Provides training to Treasury team members on key fraud concepts.
- Provides back up on foundational liquidity reporting.
- Supports internal, external and MAR reporting needs. Provides insights into controls and processes.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Requires a bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, economics, or business administration. MBA preferred.
- Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) designation preferred.
- LOMA FLMI, or FFSI Certification preferred.
- 6-7 years of treasury management experience.
- Thorough knowledge of investment departments and asset classes required.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, treasury management investments systems and software.
- Ability to use data tools such as Power BI to analyze and present data.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions dealing with complex concepts within strict time constraints.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and lead team members is required.
- Ability to produce information and recommendations using data to drive decisions.
- Able to start at 6:30 am.
- Able to work holidays when the federal reserve or financial investment markets are open.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more.
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups