At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual (NM) has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for 165 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and groundbreaking technology to best serve our clients!
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our planning experience team, where you will play a key role in developing our microservice infrastructure and building APIs.
Our department, Planning Experience drives our proprietary financial planning platform that lets our advisors deliver multifaceted, dynamic, and comprehensive plans that uniquely showcase our conviction for financial planning with insurance and investment solutions!
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Demonstrates technical leadership to the team.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and standard methodologies within the department.
- Applies working relationships across teams within their division.
- Assesses and provides solutions to system-wide architectural problems.
- Backend Technologies: Java, Spring Boot, Docker, Kubernetes, Message queues, NoSQL databases
- API Code Patterns: MVC, REST, layered architecture, Dependency Injection, Code interception and cross-cutting concerns, Unit Testing, Mocking, Integration testing
- Code Quality: Test Automation, Functional Testing
- CI/CD practices: Gitlab preferred, automated build and deployment infrastructure and pipelines
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 4-5 years professional experience required
- 3-5+ years of experience working with modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Strong understanding of REST API Principles and standard methodologies.
- Familiarity with Agile development practices
- Mentoring and coaching among a collaborative team.
- Capable of presenting between product, engineering, and the business
- Manages own time to meet objectives
- Ability to perform peer reviews on code and design
- Proven understanding of modern architectural design patterns
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- Highly competitive compensation that include base salary plus bonus
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
N ort hwester n Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups