At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
What you will do:
This is a hybrid opportunity in Milwaukee, WI that is responsible for external financial reporting for Northwestern Mutual and its insurance subsidiaries on a statutory basis. In addition, this position also supports the internal controls program and rating agency requirements.
How you will do it:
- Responsible for leading the preparation and review process of all external financial reporting for Northwestern Mutual and Northwestern Long-Term Care including quarterly and annual NAIC financial statements, audited statutory financial statements, and the NAIC risk-based capital calculation.
- Prepare high quality financial reports with utmost attention to detail. Analysis and document year over year financial results ensuring fluctuations are reasonable and appropriate.
- Assists in leading the company-wide effort to ensure compliance with applicable internal control requirements (i.e., NAIC Model Audit Rule), with specific emphasis on internal control documentation and evaluation. Supports the communication and coordination efforts throughout the organization, including training, progress monitoring, and reporting and analysis of control deficiencies.
- Assist with the execution of the annual audit. This coordination effort is done primarily on behalf of the department, but also includes coordination with other departments across NM.
- Work with external auditors to ensure agreement with company decisions on accounting issues and disclosures.
- Responsible for monitoring and compliance with evolving accounting disclosure guidance and may serve as a contact for various departments on reporting technical matters.
- Will work with the company's accounting policy representatives to ensure complete coverage of applicable disclosure guidance and assist with the successful implementation of all applicable disclosure guidance.
- Assist in monitoring and analysis of life sector rating agency guidance and reporting the corresponding impact on Northwestern Mutual’s ratings.
- Assist in the analysis and reporting of key Northwestern Mutual rating agency metrics to senior leadership. Responsible for leading the preparation and review of the annual rating agency survey process and will assist in responding to ad-hoc requests from the rating agencies.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration with accounting emphasis.
- 4+ years accounting experience with Big 4 accounting firm or combination of public and industry experience
- Experience in insurance accounting, financial reporting, auditing and/or financial analysis preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting/reporting standards, with an ability to research and propose company positions on complex accounting issues/
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Experience with Workiva software preferred.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more.
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups