At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the Role?
As Risk Management Consultant, you establish and optimize risks and controls, accountable for consulting and advising on large, complex and, often, ambiguous issues related to information security. As subject matter expert for the internal control over financial reporting program, you will: create IT risk and control matrices; design/evaluate IT processes/controls to enable compliance with model audit rule (MAR); evaluate and quantify deficiencies in internal controls; promote information protection awareness through training activities; evaluate and make decisions on noncompliance issues; lead, coach, and mentor NML staff on the MAR program, including specific processes intended to ensure consistency and quality. Further, you will develop action plans to support departmental and corporate strategy. Above all, you demand excellence of yourself; you handle tasks with the highest possible degree of accuracy and discretion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- As part of the 'second line of defense', this role is accountable for consulting and advising on large, complex and ambiguous IT efforts related to Model Audit Rule (MAR), the applicable regulation governing internal controls over financial reporting.
- Accountable for providing subject matter expertise for IT topics related to internal controls over financial reporting which may include: MAR scoping decisions for IT applications, identification of IT risk and corresponding IT controls, identification of interface controls, documenting data flow diagrams, and interaction with internal and external auditors.
- Accountable for assessing and evaluating control deficiencies in order to quantify risk and determine the impact to IT process conclusions.
- Accountable for leading, coaching, and mentoring other staff members on aspects of the MAR program and specific processes in order to ensure consistency, quality and productivity of deliverables.
- Accountable for developing action plans in order to support departmental and corporate strategy.
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in MIS, Business or related field; or related work experience beyond the minimum required
- Five or more years of experience in information systems or systems audit with a demonstrated knowledge in technologies and processes
- Proven ability to design and implement IT general controls
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and mentor other staff members
- Strong ability to independently identify and resolve critical and complex issues through effective problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to maintain and strengthen relationships; ability to effectively influence and negotiate with internal and external partners
- Proven organizational savvy with demonstrated tact and diplomacy
- Proven ability in dealing with ambiguity
- Collaborative team first environment
- Tons of room for career growth.
- We offer highly competitive compensation, including annual bonus opportunities
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
- We provide tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- We provide extensive Professional Training Opportunities
- We offer an excellent Work/Life Balance
- Hackathons/Dedication to Innovation
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We a re an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, Ne w York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
Please note: Any wages or wage ranges listed directly on a specific job requisition or posting will supersede corresponding wage ranges listed within Pay Transparency Guide linked above.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups