At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
At Northwestern Mutual, our vision is to deliver financial security to help our clients live their best lives by choice. A key pillar of our vision and success is a strong, vibrant sales force. This role sits within the Career Distribution (CD), which is at the forefront of working across the home office and sales force as one team to achieve the sales and growth objectives the company expects, while delivering the experience our distribution needs and deserves.
Work with Regional VP, Regional Directors, and internal management regarding financial outlook of Network/District Offices. Identify financial issues, and research and recommend options for resolution. Conduct financial analysis to support decisions related to overall Network Office financial health, and investments for future growth. Consult directly with field business partners, primarily Chief Financial Officers and Managing Office Partners, and may lead cross-departmental initiatives related to financial consulting, reviewing to assess current financial state/trends, including in-depth research/analysis of revenue sources, expense management, profitability, cash flow and debt structure/leverage. Further, conduct Where to Invest consulting, prepare financial scenarios using financial modeling tools, and provide ad hoc analysis to define/propose investment strategies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively identify Office financial issues and assist the VP Distribution Performance/Principal and internal management in resolving these issues by providing research and resolution options, taking into account financial performance management standards, guidelines, and accountabilities.
- Conduct financial statement/financial health reviews to assess current state and trends of the Offices' financial position. This includes in-depth research and analysis of sources of revenue, expense management, profitability, cash flow and debt structure/leverage.
- Field Where to Invest Consulting
- Prepare financial scenarios using numerous financial modeling tools (e.g. FMM, Planning Tool, return on investment, break-even) to direct decisions about investments in the Office.
- Collaborate with regional team, field business partners and internal management to assess the feasibility of new front line leadership roles (e.g. FD, GDD, DD, MD).
- Provide ad hoc analysis to define and propose investment strategies for the Office, including thorough review and understanding of: MP contract and compensation programs, expense management, financing debt servicing strategies and the financial impact of front-line leadership appointments.
- Create financial tools to assess the impact of and guide decision making on the timing of District start-ups and FD/DD appointments. Prepare MD/DD net income projection to assess the viability of the new appointment.
Financial Trend Analysis
- Provide summary reporting to internal management on Office financial health based on proactively identifying financial trends, opportunities and areas of concern. This information is used to direct management decision making on support provided to Offices.
- Work directly with the VP Distribution Performance/Principal and Field business partners on developing both short-term and longer-term financial plans for each Office.
- In collaboration with Field Accounting, develop trend analysis for specific requests and for the purpose of identifying standard methodologies to be communicated to the Field and implemented in consultation with the home office.
- Provide day-to-day consultation to the Office on financial management through review and execution of: annual budget creation (including projections) and a 3-5 year rolling plan, monitoring Office line-of-credit usage, including overages related to MD or FR debt, regular review of year-to-date budget to actual results, active comparison of Office revenue and expense levels against peer group, addressing Field business partner questions related to financial matters and compensation, in collaboration with home office colleagues, and financial consulting project participation.
- Provide coaching and training to Field business partners to promote Office self-sufficiency. Train the Field on and advocate for Home Office tools, reports, and standard processes for Office use.
- Participate in cross-departmental projects and initiatives to further develop financial consulting services and tools to support Field Management.
- Collaborate with Director and home office colleagues in financial tool development (modeling, retirement, net income projection, cash flow analysis, investment value, etc.) for the team. Evaluate potential development and enhancements for new financial consulting processes.
Bring your best! What the role requires:
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting or finance required.
- MBA, or CFA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of related business experience working with financial documents, performing financial analysis and modeling, and using spreadsheet tools.
- Broad knowledge of the company's products, distribution system, field compensation and sales reporting required.
- Strong analytical skills with the shown ability to analyze business problems and make decisions.
- Validated ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously, and carry out diverse assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Shown ability to establish trust and acceptance at all levels within the Home Office and Field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Validated ability to articulate complex technical or financial information to various audiences to gain common understanding.
- Experience working with Northwestern Mutual's Field Management with knowledge of commission system, contract structure, and financial programs helpful.
Complex Negotiations - Intermediate
Conflict Management - Intermediate
Customer Service - Advanced
Data Analysis - Advanced
Data Reporting - Advanced
Financial Modeling - Advanced
Financial Statement Analysis - Advanced
Self-Direction - Advanced
Strategic Business Consulting - Intermediate
Talent Development - Intermediate
Trend Analysis - Advanced
- Competitive base pay!
- Pension plan
- Educational assistance
- Performance based incentive pay
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Caregiver time off
- ….and more
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups