At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department is seeking an experienced and agile tax attorney who is interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of insurance and financial product tax issues. The position will support and provide day-to-day legal advice to the insurance product and retail investment units.
What's The Role:
This attorney will be a member of the Law Department’s Corporate Team, which is responsible for providing legal support and advice in the areas of company tax, investment tax, product tax, human resources, employee benefits, and general corporate matters. This attorney will report to the Vice President – Corporate Counsel in the Law Department. Specifically, this attorney will:
- Provide legal and strategic advice regarding the taxation of the Company’s life insurance, annuity, disability and long-term care insurance products, the retail investment products it offers and the various plans and markets in which they are sold, including qualified and nonqualified employee benefit plans, estate and gifting arrangements and the bank and corporate markets. This attorney will provide legal counsel and support on all tax issues related to tax qualification and compliance, product development and operational matters.
- Review and provide advice on legislative proposals related to taxation of the Company’s insurance and investment offerings, including assisting the Company’s Government Relations Department in developing advocacy positions, and contributing to the implementation efforts related to such legislation.
- Analyze IRS rule proposals and adopted regulations applicable to insurance and investment products, advising the Company’s business units on the associated requirements and risks, and serving on project teams to implement tax-related policies, procedures and training materials.
- Participate actively in committees dealing with tax matters of insurance industry trade groups, including the American Council Life Insurers and the Committee of Annuity Insurers.
- Develop and review disclosures to clients that address Tax Code issues related to the tax treatment of the Company’s insurance and investment offerings.
- Work collaboratively with other attorney specialists in the securities, banking, financial planning and insurance areas in support of the above efforts.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Candidates must have at least five years of legal experience gained at a law firm, in-house at an insurance, investment or other financial services firm and/or through a government position advising on taxation of insurance and investment products, tax planning, gift and estate tax planning, or the taxation of employee plans.
- The ideal candidate will have significant familiarity with taxation of insurance and investment products. A masters in taxation or an LL.M in tax is preferred.
- Candidates must have the ability to analyze a variety of legal issues, synthesize complex information, research effectively, and provide solution-oriented legal advice to business professionals throughout the Company.
- Candidates must have an exemplary academic record and a Juris Doctorate. A license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or a commitment to become licensed within the first year of employment is required.
Desired personal attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, a highly analytical and curious mind, strong attention to detail, creative, comfortable dealing with ambiguity, of high integrity and ethical standards, and evidencing a positive demeanor.
- Proven ability to collaborate and contribute effectively in a team environment and across teams within and outside of the Law Department; exceptional partnership and relationship building skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work proactively and autonomously and to effectively prioritize multiple tasks at the same time.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all parts of the enterprise.
- The scope of this role may change over time to respond to business needs. The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable in terms of general abilities and aspirations.
Information About Our Law Department and Northwestern Mutual:
Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s approximately 130 members, about 80 are lawyers, having come to Northwestern Mutual from all around the country after having graduated from a multitude of law schools and undergraduate institutions and having practiced in a wide variety of settings. The balance of the Department consists of highly skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations. Our Law Department (in every aspect of its operations, including the Law Department Leadership Team, the Department’s practicing lawyers and paralegals, and the Department’s professional administrative staff) is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of people who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all fields directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel. There are nine main legal practice teams within the Law Department: Investment Products and Advisory Services; Digital and Enterprise Operations; Insurance Products and Operations; Corporate; Distribution; Litigation; Enterprise Governance; Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments. Lawyers have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide the most timely and effective counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career satisfaction for our attorneys, paralegals, and professional administrative staff.
Northwestern Mutual has been helping people and businesses achieve financial security for more than 165 years. Through a comprehensive planning approach, Northwestern Mutual combines the expertise of its financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and industry-leading products to help its clients plan for what is most important. With $340 billion in total assets, $35 billion in revenues, and $2.2 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 5.0 million people with life, disability income and long-term care insurance, annuities, and brokerage and advisory services. The company manages more than $237 billion of investments owned by its clients and held or managed through its wealth management and investment services businesses. Northwestern Mutual ranks 97 on the 2022 FORTUNE 500 and is recognized by FORTUNE® as one of the "World's Most Admired" life insurance companies.
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Please note that this is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups