At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This role will support the Western Region
What's the Role?
Northwestern Mutual distributes its products and services through 77 distribution affiliates across the US. Led by an independent Managing Partner, each of these affiliates is comprised of on average 100 financial advisors and an almost equal number of staff members. Each affiliate’s annual revenue ranges from $6 million to $35 million. The Principal is the Company’s primary business partner/advisor for 3-5 Managing Partners/distribution affiliates.
The Principal is responsible for…
- Driving performance of these affiliates by applying problem solving and experience based judgement to the complex challenges of these businesses. These challenges holistically include local strategy, financial management, talent development optimization, culture refinement, regulatory compliance and leadership development.
- Influencing and executing on affiliate business plans and aligning these plans with the Company strategy. The Principal is responsible for the staging, sequencing and delivery of strategic initiatives within each distribution affiliate. The Principal collaborates with the affiliate’s leadership team to operationalize and execute on strategy locally.
- Providing real time feedback and collaborating with corporate partners on the development of strategic initiatives.
- Developing and communicating recommendations to senior leadership.
Northwestern Mutual continues to evolve its industry leading distribution model. The Principal plays a critical role in leading this evolution as a part of a team responsible for a portion of the Company’s distribution system. The Principal reports to the head of one of four regions of the distribution system and leverages a team to execute the responsibilities identified above.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
We seek individuals who demonstrate leadership, integrity, a sharp analytical mind, creativity, and the ability to work across all levels of an organization to influence direction sometimes without direct authority.
- Minimum 8-10 year of progressively responsible work experience emphasizing decision making, financial acumen, consultation, influence, and communication.
- Advanced graduate degree (e.g., MBA, JD, PhD, etc.), CFA or CPA preferred. Excellent academic record required.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- An understanding of economic forces affecting the financial services industry
- Proven ability to critically and logically evaluate the costs, risks and benefits of alternatives before coming to a solution.
- Proven ability to engage in and model courageous and constructive dialogue; confidence to offer a new and potentially challenging idea to foster conversation and critical thinking; ability to deliver difficult and/or complex messages and help others understand multiple points of view.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and respond quickly and creatively to change and shifting and sometimes competing priorities. Comfort operating through risk and uncertainty in a high-volume work environment.
- Ability to guide clients through change.
- Willingness to travel 50% of the time.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups