At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
**This role is remote-friendly with some travel to Milwaukee Campus.**
This is an outstanding opportunity for an application architect with a keen interest for modernization to join a company of choice and enjoy the best of both worlds: the great foundation and resources of a growing organization built over more than 160 years, alongside a dynamic, fast-paced IT team working with the latest and greatest technology.
What's the role?
We are in the midst of a cloud-native, service-oriented technology transformation of its technology landscape, with an emphasis on aligning its technology architecture with its business architecture. This transformation requires the definition and rollout of a target state architecture enabling the transition from our on-premise, mainframe-centered historical technology ecosystem, along with the software engineering practices accompanying it. This role is for a Principal Enterprise Architect to define an actionable application architecture strategy and roll it out to all delivery teams across the enterprise. This is a high-impact role across NM’s Technology organization, working with engineering leaders to implement our technology modernization strategy.
What you’ll do:
- Define the application architecture target state for application run-time needs, with a particular focus on backend services
- Document this application architecture in an actionable fashion for engineers to implement software aligned with it
- Evangelize the defined strategy and communicate to delivery teams to realize it
- Provide thought leadership on application architecture & technology across Vice President and Engineering Lead levels and ensure that engineering and IT work is aligned with Northwestern Mutual’s business and technology strategies
- Guide teams via the definition and recommendation of application architectural patterns, engineering practices and standards and partner with engineering leadership to promote their adoption across the organization
- Provide day-to-day mentoring and coaching to junior architects and technical professionals
- Ensure Technology Architecture meets financial, compliance, security and risk goals
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- Bachelors in Computer Science / Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 9-14 years of professional experience required
- 8-10+ years of experience leading teams as an architect or engineer lead
- Experience building modern, cloud-native service-based applications
- Experience with design and implementation of large, complex enterprise systems over an extended period of time
- Knowledge of DevOps practices
- Previous leadership of large-scale enterprise technology planning and implementation
- Recognized leader with vision in their organization in both current and legacy technologies
- Ability to collaborate and provide leadership in a large group of engineering leads and be accountable for driving efforts towards defined outcomes that align to business strategic goals
- Experience leading orchestrated enterprise planning methodologies (e.g., SAFe).
- Understanding of EA methodologies (e.g. TOGAF 9).
- Exposure to mainframe applications
- Experience with both on-premise and cloud-based application architecture
- Experience with event-driven patterns, domain-driven design
Beyond base salary, NM offers the following benefits; pension, 401k, comprehensive medical, dental, and vision, FREE lunch, annual bonus opportunity, and much more!
**No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we'd love to learn more about you!**
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups