At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Ability to work Hybrid Model in either the Milwaukee office (Monday/Tuesday / Wednesday) or in the NYC office (Thursday+ 1 other day)
What's the Role?
Northwestern Mutual is seeking a hardworking Principal Architect, Data Security- The Principal Architect will define the target state, lead, and drive strategy, assist in technology selection. As an integral part of a team dedicated to driving comprehensive data security and encryption goals, this individual will play a meaningful role with data security at Northwestern Mutual.
In This Role, You Will
- Act as a thought leader for the company's encryption technology present and future, helping to ensure the optimally protection of information and assets.
- Be a part of the federated architecture group which makes decisions on Data Security topics – possibly lead it once they have been here enough to understand the landscape
- Identify and implement the type of sweeps that need to happen across the environment to identify data security gaps and define the SOWs or hire the team which will do the work
- They will look to find gaps in our data security posture, document who is doing what in the current setup, and come up with tactical gap remediation (project work) and then bundle this work into our operational footprint in the long term.
- Consult with multiple engineering teams and multiple levels of management on strategic data encryption efforts, drive ground-breaking change to company's encryption and information protection technology landscape, including Discovery/Agility, Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)/Certificate lifecycle automation, Cloud information protection controls and various other tools leveraged for PKI, encryption, and tokenization.
- Identify emerging/new products and technologies required to support new business request (requiring new features) or to fill gaps with current deployed network technologies
- Design appropriate RBAC controls to tighten access to/from our systems.
- Deploy security best practices for interface integrations between data origin, data lake, data consumers as well as supporting middleware.
- Partner with architecture and support groups such as Security and Network Architecture to ensure technology alignment with overall strategic direction.
- Act as an advisor to leadership to develop or influence applications, network, information security, database, operating systems, or web technologies for highly complex business and technical needs across multiple groups.
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies and recommend innovations that enhance operations or provide a competitive advantage to the organization
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- BS or MS in related subject area
- 10+ years of Engineering experience in cloud (AWS/GCP/Azure) and on-prem technologies
- 7+ years of information security experience in a senior or leadership security engineering role
- 4+ years of advanced engineering experience with encryption technologies
- Experience with monitoring and data analysis tools such as Splunk
- Professional certifications such as CISSP, ISSAP, CCSP, CISM
Solid Understanding of Data Security
- At Rest
- In Flight
- In Use
- Expert level experience with encryption technologies and techniques.
- Strong knowledge of network security architecture concepts including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of Defense-in-Depth)
- Extensive knowledge of application of security technologies including: SIEM, DLP, WAF, IPS, firewall, and related tools
- Strong knowledge of NIST SP 800-53 and other federal cybersecurity-related policies, directives, and mandates.
- Demonstrated experience with cybersecurity policies, tools, and architecture.
- Collaborative team first environment
- Tons of room for career growth.
- We offer highly competitive compensation, including annual bonus opportunities
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
- We provide tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- We provide extensive Professional Training Opportunities
- We offer an excellent Work/Life Balance
- Hackathons/Dedication to Innovation
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups