At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
This paralegal will be a member of the Law Department’s Real Estate Investments Team serving as a closing specialist responsible for managing the closing and funding process for commercial mortgage loans and equity investments, as well as managing loan servicing and modification matters.
Principle Accountabilities :
Reviews and analyzes loan applications and purchase and sale contracts and identifies all necessary closing requirements. Manages entire closing process: prepares and manages closing checklist; schedules and runs closing status calls with department staff and outside borrowers and/or other counterparties; manages timelines toward closing dates, ensuring all due diligence requirements are satisfied; proposes resolutions to issues where appropriate; orders and reviews title insurance commitments and land surveys and resolves all noted issues regarding same with title companies, surveyors and/or counterparties; reviews entity evidence relative to borrower/partner organization structure; reviews key leases and identifies risks and liabilities; summarizes issues in written departmental synopses and presents to Real Estate Department deal review committee(s); prepares all necessary loan documents for review and negotiation by in-house attorneys; finalizes all closing documents and ensures all closing requirements have been met; initiates wire transfer of loan/acquisition funds. In addition, responsible for review and documentation of certain loan servicing and modification matters.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- A bachelor’s degree required; or equivalent, demonstrable experience in commercial real estate transactions. A Paralegal Certificate is desirable.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in either, (1) real estate closings or (2) corporate law transactions.
- Understanding of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Lease review experience desirable.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities successfully and work independently and effectively during periods of high volume.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a highly analytical and curious mind, creativity, comfort dealing with ambiguity, integrity, high ethical standards, and a positive demeanor.
- Service oriented, with demonstrated ability to build rapport with people inside and outside the organization.
- Highly effective in a team environment, while also demonstrating ability to work independently in a complex, varied environment.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all stakeholders of the enterprise.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups