At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and meaningful time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
What you will do:
The Public Investments Department within Northwestern Mutual Investment Management Company, LLC (NMIMC) manages the public markets investments of Northwestern Mutual, with more than $100 billion under management in Municipal, Investment Grade Corporate, Structured Product, High Yield Corporate, Government, Emerging Market and related Derivative assets.
This position will be responsible for credit analysis and driving performance within assigned Investment Grade Municipal Bond Sectors.
How you will do it:
- Provide timely independent evaluation of the fundamental credit quality of primary and secondary market offerings informed by fundamental credit and relative value views
- Demonstrate the ability to formulate, communicate and influence investment recommendations to the Municipal portfolio manager based on forward looking fundamental analysis
- Work with Senior Analyst and Senior Portfolio manager to learn and grow into the role of a municipal credit analyst
- Build and analyze a quantitative risk assessment framework (credit scoring) to be used as a part of evaluating municipal credit quality
- Maintain strong, professional relationships with sell-side and buy-side contacts, rating agencies, and issuer management teams
- Regularly attend industry conferences, investor events and rating agency meetings
- Use information technology to identify, develop and maintain tools that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the investment decision making process
- Actively engage in Continuous Learning & Improvement (CL&I) initiatives
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Undergraduate degree in finance, accounting, economics or mathematics.
- Future career growth will be aided by completing either/both the Chartered Financial Analyst designation and an advanced degree (MBA, Masters in Public Policy, Masters in Financial Mathematics).
- 2-5 years of experience analyzing health care credits and other public finance sectors.
- This experience can come from any of the following:
- Buy-side asset management
- Rating agencies
- Commercial lending
- Healthcare consulting
- Investment banking
- Sell-side research
- Intermediate to advanced skills using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to develop and build relevant models and tools using inputs from Bloomberg and CreditScope
- Proficiency with CreditScope, Bloomberg, Blackrock Aladdin is highly desirable
- Knowledge of coding in SAS/R/Python is strongly preferred
- Exhibit a high level of integrity, trustworthiness, reliability, and motivation
- Self-starter that works well independently, with a lower level of supervision
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and critical reasoning skills
- A commitment to lifelong learning and career development growth
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines
- Promote a culture of mutual respect and courtesy
This position is subject to our Personal Trading Policy and the employee will be required to maintain any brokerage accounts with one of NMIMC’s approved brokers
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups