At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
How you will do it:
The Market Research Consultant role is essential to our Risk Products and Field Experience strategy and will be accountable for leading research methodology development, analysis, and insights generation for a broad spectrum of projects and ongoing priorities encompassing Risk Products and overall Field Experience. Our team within the Corporate Strategy department partners with stakeholders across the enterprise to generate knowledge that advises key business decisions. This role will partner closely with the Risk Products department and is passionate about generating knowledge for product development, product introductions and ongoing product sales opportunities. In addition, this role will also contribute to measuring progress on our path to crafting an outstanding experience for our exclusive distribution system (i.e. the Field) and their clients. The Market Research Consultant will perform ad hoc analyses to understand field perspective by often partnering with team members to answer business questions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Shapes and executes research strategy on behalf of Risk Products and other key business teams across the enterprise.
- Initiates proactive research to support company and Risk Product strategy, direction and business objectives.
- Leads research design and methodology decisions and conducts and/or is responsible for quantitative and qualitative analysis and analysis plan design.
- Provides project leadership, direction and mentoring to project team to guide efficient and effective research planning.
- Responsible for analyses to identify new opportunities for the company, improvements to the current business model, as well as Risk Products and our product offerings.
- Proactively research and communicate trends and anomalies to create deeper learning and facilitate the process of taking action on the gaps or insights identified.
- Use research and insights to identify progress of product readiness and adoption efforts and identify sales trends or gaps.
- Presents and socializes strategic research insights across many partners in Risk Products and throughout the enterprise.
- Actively participates in cross-functional teams that support the company's initiatives.
- Identifies, assesses, and implements new market research approaches and technologies.
- Conducts research that is objective, reliable and ethical.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's Degree in business, business analytics, marketing, social sciences, statistics or related field. Master's degree or MBA a plus.
- Demonstrated ability in business processes to include research, data analysis and insights development. Includes a demonstrated ability to gather relevant information systematically; consider a broad range of issues; grasp complexities and perceive relationships among problems.
- Ability to unite key colleagues and cross-functional partners by gaining trust through demonstrating business expertise. Financial services or Insurance industry experience (Life, Disability Income, Long-term Care, and Annuity product) knowledge a plus but not required.
- Experienced in using a broad range of market research skills that include multiple of the following quantitative, qualitative, primary, and secondary.
- Experience with planning and conducting research projects (defining objectives, selecting methodology, developing sample plans, crafting data collection, storytelling, presenting findings, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of questionnaire design and tactical experience gathering perception data using survey execution software (such as Qualtrics).
- Consistently displays professional courage to research design, analysis and interpretation to deliver credible research learning free of bias.
- Strong knowledge of and experience using statistical software (such as SPSS) for data analysis preferred.
- Experience using Tableau and/or PowerBI to build dashboards is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to create impressive data insight visuals to facilitate storytelling and ability to convey confidence in conclusions and insights presented.
- Able to be both strategic and tactical, with strong analytical, problem solving and conceptual skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts in a compelling, concise and creative way. Excellent communicator, including written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with individuals and teams. Demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and integrity. Able to partner confidently with more senior management on business issues.
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects or requests simultaneously while successfully coping with interruptions and redefined priorities.
- Agile, detail-oriented, collaborative, innovative and curious.
Great pay package, 401K, Company sponsored retirement plan, Educational assistance, Performance based incentive pay, Medical, dental and vision insurance, Parental leave, Caregiver time off….and more
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups