At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
About the role:
As a Lead Solution Architect for Enterprise Shared Services, enable software engineers to deliver value faster and create a world class engineering organization by taking a modern approach to our test data solutions, enabled with a focus on software engineering, The solutions offered by this area have a high impact across the internal NM Engineering Solutions Delivery (ESD) and enterprise teams, streamlining delivery for engineers across the organization.
As part of the Enterprise Shared Services (ESS) organization within ESD, this role will provide design and execution leadership to deliver modern, enterprise-grade test data solutions using ephemeral data solutions, data and service virtualization, AI, and synthetic and masked data. The role will partner closely with our software, infrastructure, and data engineers throughout the company to deliver shared capabilities that align with NM’s Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
The Engineering Shared Services (ESS) vision as an integral part of NM’s software delivery ecosystem though standardization, simplification and automation. We help teams accelerate delivery by solving problems that matter through innovative shared technology solutions and keeping NM’s delivery running smoothly and ensure our teams are best positioned to do their jobs.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Apply industry leading and ground-breaking practices to design and develop shared capabilities in alignment with NM standards.
- Ensures Architecture of solutions meets financial, compliance, security and risk goals.
- Provide technical guidance to engineers to complete solution delivery.
- Provides day-to-day mentoring and coaching to junior architects and technologists.
- Partner with engineers across the organization to understand needs and difficulties to inform capability offerings and to understand broader technology directions for the organization.
- Influence technical, business and product leadership to overcome cultural, product or technical challenges.
- Represent Northwestern Mutual's technology organization in community and technology events.
- Act as a practitioner, mentor, advisor, or influencer based on the need and the situation.
- Cultivate network and talent pipeline by attending and presenting at meetups, conferences, and tech events.
- Bachelors in Computer Science / Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 5-8+ years of experience designing and delivering solutions using modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Previous participation in and/or leadership of large-scale enterprise technology planning and implementation.
- Proven experience with design and implementation of large, complex enterprise systems over an extended period of time.
- Identifies functional gaps / opportunities and develops roadmaps for addressing functional gaps.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with multiple business and technology partners.
- Ability to collaborate and/or provide leadership in a larger group of technical/engineering leads and be accountable for driving efforts towards defined outcomes that align to business strategic goals.
- Breadth and depth of experience in both current and legacy technologies in areas like Application Platforms (e.g. Cloud platform vs. Legacy Platform models), CI/CD tooling and practices, or Application and Data Integration patterns.
- Documenting and leading discussions that communicate both strategic intent as well as operational approach to audiences at the Lead and Director level.
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Actively owns and creates strategic technology plans of limited scope.
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- Highly competitive compensation that include base salary plus bonus
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups