At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
About the role:
Enable software engineers to deliver value faster and create a world class engineering organization by taking a modern approach to our test environments and test data solutions, enabled with a focus on software engineering, The solutions offered by this area have a high impact across the internal NM Engineering Solutions Delivery (ESD) and enterprise teams, streamlining delivery for engineers across the organization.
As part of the Enterprise Shared Services (ESS) organization within ESD, this role will provide design and execution leadership to deliver modern test data solutions and environments using ephemeral data solutions, data and service virtualization, AI, and synthetic data. The role will partner closely with our software, infrastructure, and data engineers throughout the company to deliver shared capabilities that align with NM’s Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
The Engineering Shared Services (ESS) vision as an integral part of NM’s software delivery ecosystem though standardization, simplification and automation. We help teams accelerate delivery by solving problems that matter through innovative shared technology solutions and keeping NM’s delivery running smoothly and ensure our teams are best positioned to do their jobs.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Apply industry leading and ground-breaking practices to design and develop shared capabilities in alignment with NM standards.
- Provide technical guidance to engineers to complete solution delivery.
- Mentor, guide and coach engineers within space for technical and leadership growth.
- Partner with engineers across the organization to understand needs and difficulties to inform capability offerings and to understand broader technology directions for the organization.
- Influence technical, business and product leadership to overcome cultural, product or technical challenges.
- Represent Northwestern Mutual's technology organization in community and technology events.
- Act as a practitioner, mentor, advisor, or influencer based on the need and the situation.
- Cultivate network and talent pipeline by attending and presenting at meetups, conferences, and tech events.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 6-8 years of professional experience required.
- 5-8+ years of experience designing and delivering solutions using modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with multiple business and technology partners.
- Very strong understanding of DevOps with a proven track record of Continuous Delivery and supporting culture.
- Data Engineering understanding – how data flows through systems.
- Growing engineering abilities in others.
- Proven track record of building platforms and tools that enable developer productivity and happiness.
- Deep technical knowledge and broad understanding of the business.
- Ability to successfully communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and all levels of detail.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and architecture.
- Ability to influence teams, technology or business leaders on impactful issues and decisions.
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- Highly competitive compensation that include base salary plus bonus
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups