At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
We are looking for a lead software engineer to join our team. You will be responsible for leading the technical solutioning for the development and management of software services and applications that deliver the learning and recruiting experience for our financial representatives. This includes driving best practices, design patterns, strategic and tactical decisions aligning with target state architecture. You will be asked to coach fellow engineers, collaborate with several agile software engineering teams, understand the business ask and, in collaboration with Product Manager, translate that into backlog stories for multiple teams. Your teams will look to you for technical leadership and best practices to guide their work handling back-end integrations to third-party vendors, internal data stores, and the implementation of internal logic such as business rules and data access controls. Deployment environments include both internal environments and AWS cloud. As a member of the Field Learning and Talent software engineering team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on highly visible and important features that provide the digital learning and recruiting environment for our Financial Representatives.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Implements holistic solutions utilizing working relationships across the enterprise.
- Designs, organizes, and executes high impact solutions across teams both within and outside their division.
- Collaborates with Product Managers to translates holistic solutions and document as right-sized pieces of work to be consumed and completed by the larger engineering team
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares enterprise standards and best practices.
- Mentors and guides junior engineers within respective division.
- Ensures production stability, monitoring, and root cause analysis is executed for their products.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of professional software development experience required
- 5-8+ years of experience leading teams using modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Proven track record of successfully designing and delivering significant and impactful technology solutions.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Expert for the organization in one or more technologies: Microservices, event driven design, API design, cloud application architecture, data architecture
- Successfully deals with ambiguity.
- Recognized as a go-to expert within the division or department.
- Ability to effectively communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and architecture.
Advanced Proficiency in the following technical areas required:
- Cloud Technologies - AWS
- Software Development, Code Analysis, and Architecture
- Programming Languages
- Automation Processes
- Containerization - Docker
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
W e are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups