At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual (NM) has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 161 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and leading-edge technology to best serve our clients. To help guide the collaborative effort, we are seeking a Lead Software Engineer.
- Demonstrates technical leadership to team.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and best approaches within department.
- Utilizes working relationships across teams within their division.
- Assesses and provides solutions to system-wide architectural problems.
- Overcome results-oriented challenges; takes a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience 6-8 years of professional experience required
- 5-8+ years of experience leading teams using modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Financial Services experience in delivering technology solutions for Policy Administration (New Business, Servicing, Claims) systems across Life/Annuity/DI/LTC Insurance Products is preferred.
- Proven track record of optimally crafting and delivering significant and impactful technology solutions.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Specialist for the organization in one or more technologies. Mentor for the team Optimally deals with ambiguity.
- Recognized as the go-to specialist within the division or department.
- Ability to optimally communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Communicates difficult concepts and negotiates with others to adopt a different point of view
- Strong understanding of design patterns and architecture.
- Full Stack Engineer with well-rounded skills across front end and server-side programming including DevOps automation and experience with Cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS.
- DevOps and Build Automation – GitLab CI / Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, Terraform
- Cloud – AWS (S3, Lambda, RDS, EC2, KMS, IAM)
- Object oriented design patterns, Microservices Architecture, Event Driven Frameworks and Service Oriented Architecture
- Experience with API Management Frameworks
- Familiarity with both Batch and Real-time application patterns
- Familiarity with Security Patterns/Frameworks like Secure SDLC, TLS and Secrets Management
- Familiarity with Containers and Container Management (Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with Business Rules Management and Document Management systems
- Tuition reimbursement, commuter plans, and paid time off
- Highly competitive compensation that include base salary plus bonus
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, 401(k), pension program
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups