At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This opportunity is an excellent way to craft and lead the technology teams that are passionate about delivering data and decision-making solutions to the investment professionals who manage Northwestern Mutual’s $282 billion general account. The general account is invested across various public and private fixed income and equity asset classes with the goal of generating superior risk-adjusted returns while preserving the company's exceptional financial strength. This time-tested strategy fundamentally supports Northwestern Mutual's best-in-class product value and ability to deliver lifelong financial security to its policyowners and clients.
You will be a part of a key transformational initiative aiming to reimagine the investment lifecycle and deliver modern solutions to enhance the investment decision making process. You will participate in realizing the technology for both operational and analytical use cases and will have a visible impact on building a brand-new digital platform for Managed Investments. If you are looking for an opportunity to build the future and play an active role in a strategic area of our company, this is an opportunity for you!
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides technical leadership to the Managed Investments engineering team.
- Implements holistic solutions utilizing working relationships across the enterprise.
- Designs and performs data extraction, assessment, translation, transformation, and load (ETL) processes with minimal guidance or from prescribed specifications
- Mentors and guides engineers within respective teams.
- Ensures production stability, monitoring, and root cause analysis is executed for their products.
- They can translate technology trends into scalable solutions for the Managed Investment domain.
- They can translate business challenges into workable application designs utilizing target state architecture and have the capability to be hands-on with both functional and technical knowledge.
- In charge of building data equity, its underlying code, tools, databases, and related infrastructure
- Analyzes data needs and identifies available internal and external sources.
- Utilizes business and analytical data modeling skills to design data integration and structure approaches.
- Utilizes programming skills to access and extract data from diverse sources residing on multiple platforms and implements data models by combining, synthesizing, and structuring data from databases, files, and spreadsheets.
- Assures data consistency and reliability. Performs quality checks, contributes to metadata and data dictionaries, documents repeatable extract, transform and load processes.
- Establishes, aggregates, and shares team standards and best practices across departments.
- Enjoys working in a collaborative agile team and is ready to tackle new and unexpected challenges while further optimizing the application landscape.
- Collaborates with our application vendors and manages their services based on the agreed SLAs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field
- 6-8 years of professional experience required
- 5-8+ years of experience leading teams using modern engineering tools, languages, and practices.
- Experience developing and leading solution delivery using agile methods.
- Experience with using DevSecOps principles.
- Successfully deals with ambiguity.
- Recognized as the go-to expert within the division or department.
- Ability to effectively communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences in varying forms and levels of detail.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and architecture.
Experience with software engineering practices:
- Modern programming languages (Java, Python)
- Cloud technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, AWS)
- Experience with ETL tools, data modeling and business intelligence big data architecture.
- Experience in BI tools, particularly on Power BI, Tableau
- Proficient in SQL
- Previous experience with data warehouses, data lakes, RDDBMS, and NoSQL stores, such as: MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Snowflake, Databricks, Redshift.
- Previous experience with data catalogs such as Collibra, others.
- Experience deploying, and operating complex business applications.
- Experience working in a hybrid (on-prem, cloud, SaaS) infrastructure environment
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups