At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What’s the role?
Reporting to the Assistant Director – Risk Product Accounting, the Lead Accountant – Insurance Products independently performs financial accounting functions and related control activities for assigned products and processes to ensure accuracy and conformance with statutory accounting standards. The Lead Accountant develops and prepares regulatory and operational reporting and analytics, and implements enhancements to improve efficiency and accounting data quality. This role represents the Finance Department Department in enterprise-wide product, system and/or process development activities.
Focus a significant amount of time on supporting project work for the Enterprise Payment Network/Money Movement effort. Collaborate with project team members to deliver comprehensive and clear accounting, control, reporting and testing requirements. Frequently perform testing using general ledger and cash disbursement data to identify any defects and communicate the findings to the appropriate contact(s).
In addition, the role will include:
- Leading efforts to implement system or process changes and improvements.
- Performing analysis of insurance accounting balances related (but not limited) to premiums, policy benefits, field compensation, dividends and/or reinsurance for alignment with expectations and identification of trends or unusual items.
- Designing and implementing adequate control structures and processes to ensure insurance accounting information is completely and accurately captured in the financial accounting systems.
- Researching, analyzing and coordinating the resolution of insurance accounting and reporting issues, including those involving financial transactions processed within the insurance contract administration systems.
- Developing and preparing reports used for operational insurance processes and regulatory reporting.
- Coaching and mentoring others performing accounting and control activities related to assigned systems and/or products.
- Leading or consulting on ongoing sustainability efforts related to accounting control documentation to ensure compliance with the NAIC Model Audit Rule.
Bring your best! What the role needs:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration with accounting emphasis. MBA or other graduate business degree desired.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation or strong qualifications in the insurance or financial services industries.
- Six or more years of relevant professional accounting experience.
- Experience with the application of statutory or GAAP accounting standards in the insurance or financial services industries.
- Proven analytical and decision-making skills.
- Proven ability to act independently.
- Excellent communication skills.
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work in Colorado or work remotely, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups