At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company over 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative, and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees, and financial representatives donate time, talent, and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
What’s the role?
Reporting to the Senior Director of Wealth Accounting, the Lead Product Accountant is responsible for independently reviewing and/or completing complex accounting transactions, along with leading the analysis of financial results for the Company’s investment product subsidiaries, the Wealth Management Company (WMC) and Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC. (NMIS). This role collaborates with a wide range of business partners, auditors and external vendors as a subject matter expert on the team and ensures compliance with applicable GAAP accounting standards, as well as FINRA and SEC regulations. The role also provides financial leadership during all stages of investment related strategic projects to ensure accounting requirements and related controls are implemented successfully.
- Independently perform financial accounting functions to ensure conformance with GAAP accounting standards. Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the accounting generated by numerous administration systems as well as any necessary manual accounting. Analyze all balance sheet and income statement accounts for WMC and NMIS. Research and resolves complex reconciliation and reporting issues. Maintain an effective internal control environment and ensure continued compliance with FINRA and SEC regulations. Complete timely, accurate and efficient billing validations with external vendors.
- Provide effective, accurate and timely audit and regulatory examination management.
- Provide guidance and coaching to others in the Division performing accounting and control activities.
- Develop and prepare accurate, timely and complex analytical reporting products for use with financial statement results review, management reports, auditing requests, and financial decision making. Analyze financial activity for alignment with expectations and the identification of trends or unusual items. Utilize operational indicators, business plans/projections and economic factors in this analysis.
- Provide a deep understanding of the business transactions and related accounting performed by complex administration systems to identify potential enhancements to improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Lead the development and continuous improvement of key business capabilities (e.g., financial analysis, transactional accounting and reconciliation, operational and regulatory reporting) that align with the goals and strategies of the Finance and IPS Departments. Collaborate with leaders in Finance and other departments to ensure activities are initiated and implemented as planned.
- Provide financial leadership and subject matter expertise in all stages of projects, generally cross-departmental strategic efforts with high risk and/or significant complexity. Represent and advocate for finance involvement, identify and communicate key issues, and share best practices and insights. Collaborate with project teams to acquire a thorough understanding of changes. Independently develop and deliver comprehensive and clear accounting, reporting and testing requirements. Ensure that adequate accounting control structures are designed and implemented, and all necessary accounting information is completely and accurately recorded in the financial accounting systems.
Bring your best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration with accounting emphasis.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation or strong qualifications in insurance or financial services industries.
- Six or more years of relevant professional accounting experience.
- Experience with the application of statutory or GAAP accounting standards in the insurance or financial services industries.
- Highly analytical (critical thinking, data analysis and research skills).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to act independently.
- Ability to identify and diagnose problems and articulate practical solutions and alternatives.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- MBA or other graduate business degree.
- Proven leadership in project management.
- Extensive knowledge of insurance and investment products and the financial services industry.
- Large firm public accounting/auditing experience.
This position has been classified as an Associated Person under NMIS guidelines and requires fingerprinting and completion of required form.
Required Certifications:Non-Registered Fingerprinted - FINRA
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups