At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a data architect to join a company of choice and enjoy the best of both worlds: the strong foundation and resources of a growing organization built over more than 160 years, alongside a progressive, fast-paced IT team working with the latest and greatest technology!
What's the role?
Data is at the core of Northwestern Mutual’s business. As such, its storage, management, sharing, processing is key to running the organization and developing new products. It’s also key to the modernization work that our software ecosystem is undergoing.
You will participate in realizing the technology and data strategies throughout the technology organization for both operational and analytical use cases and will have a visible impact on influencing the implementation of top priority projects.
What you’ll do:
- Lead teams to realize Northwestern Mutual's enterprise technology data strategy
- Provide thought leadership on data architecture & technology matters across Director and Engineering Lead levels and ensure that engineering and IT work is aligned with business and technology strategy
- Guide teams via the definition and recommendation of data architectural patterns, engineering practices and standards and partner with Directors/Engineering Leads to promote their adoption across the organization
- Build, prioritize and lead high-performing "Communities of Practice"
- Provide day-to-day mentoring and coaching to junior architects and technical specialists
- Ensure Technology Architecture meets financial, compliance, security and risk goals
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelors in Computer Science / Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 1-5 experience in Enterprise Architecture, or 3-5 years of experience in an architect or engineering leadership role
- Experience with both on-premise and cloud-based data architecture
- Hands-on experience with a variety of data stores, both operational and analytical
- Proven experience with design and implementation of large, complex enterprise systems over an extended period of time
- Preferred: experience building data platforms
- Previous participation in large-scale enterprise technology planning and implementation
- Experience with data warehouses, data lakes, RDDBMS, and NoSQL stores, such as: MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Delta Lake
- Ability to collaborate and provide leadership in a large group of engineering leads and be accountable for driving efforts towards defined outcomes that align to business strategic goals
- Breadth and depth of experience in both current and legacy technologies in areas like application platforms, integration patterns, event-driven architecture, Master Data Management
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups