At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Applies and integrates advanced statistical, mathematical, data mining, predictive modeling and business analysis skills and techniques to discover and identify new insights, predict and prescribe outcomes, advise on turning new insights into actionable opportunities and outcomes, and provide the tracking and measurement of results
- Develop solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques, and robust analytics to support analytic insights and visualization of complex data sets for productization and monetization.
- Leads the technological build of time-to-event models in collaboration with the data science team
- Identifies available internal and external data resources to develop and deliver information solutions, including analytical information
- Applies creative problem solving and works in tandem with internal partners to ensure data science products meet the needs of the business and can be easily integrated
- Communicates data science concepts clearly to a variety of audiences
- Shares best practices with peers through coaching and mentoring around core methodologies, patterns, standards and processes.
- Drive innovation by exploring new experimentation methods and statistical techniques that could sharpen or speed up our product decision-making processes
- Through extensive analysis, this individual will discover technology improvement opportunities and will work with other teams to address these opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field
- 6-8 years of professional experience
- At least 6 years of professional data science or analytics experience
- 5+ years of experience building and deploying predictive models using open source tools (i.e. Python, R)
- Experience building and implementing survival analysis models (e.g., Cox Proportional Hazard, Random Survival Forest, Accelerated Failure Time)
- Extensive experience working with data and developing, designing and presenting analytics, including some programming experience and work with multiple databases
- Expert level knowledge of advanced analytical model development and construction
- Proven ability to question assumptions, demonstrate relational analysis and integration of all components needed to solve problems
- Proven ability to build rapport, negotiate, gain the confidence and work successfully with business leaders across the company
- Proven ability to lead decision making process through idea sharing and consensus building
- Experience in coaching and mentoring staff members
- Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines
- Identifying data requirements for analytical needs
- Leadership experience preferred
- PhD degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field preferred
- Cloud technology experience (i.e. GDP, Azure, AWS) preferred
Pay Range - Start:
Pay Range - End:
Please note that this is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups