At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Data Science and Analytics plays a key role in the Core Data and Analytics (CDA) organization. We leverage data to provide key insights, business intelligence and data science products that advance NM's strategic priorities! As a Lead Data Scientist on this team, you will be supporting our Client Advocacy function that is responsible for the end-to-end servicing journey across all Risk and Investment product lines.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Applies and integrates advanced statistical, mathematical, data mining, predictive modeling and business analysis skills and techniques to discover and identify new insights, predict and prescribe outcomes, advise on turning new insights into actionable opportunities and outcomes, and provide the tracking and measurement of results
- Develop solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques, and robust analytics to support analytic insights and visualization of complex data sets for productization and monetization. Models need constant refitting as data changes over time.
- Identifies available internal and external data resources to develop and deliver information solutions, including analytical information
- Applies creative problem solving and inter-departmental networking to address data and information needs across the enterprise.
- Shares best practices with peers through coaching and mentoring around core methodologies, patterns, standards and processes.
- Drive innovation by exploring new experimentation methods and statistical techniques that could sharpen or speed up our product decision-making processes
- Through extensive analysis, this individual will discover technology improvement opportunities and will work with other teams to address these opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field
- 6-8 years of professional experience
- At least 6 years of professional data science or analytics experience
- 5+ years of experience building and deploying predictive models using open source tools (i.e. Python, R)
- Extensive experience working with data and developing, designing and presenting analytics, including some programming experience and work with multiple databases
- Expert level knowledge of advanced analytical model development and construction
- Proven ability to question assumptions, demonstrate relational analysis and integration of all components needed to solve problems
- Proven ability to build rapport, negotiate, gain the confidence and work successfully with business leaders across the company
- Proven ability to lead decision making process through idea sharing and consensus building
- Experience in coaching and mentoring staff members
- Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines
- Identifying data requirements for analytical needs
- PhD degree in Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Econometrics or related field preferred
- Cloud technology experience (i.e. GDP, Azure, AWS) preferred
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups