At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What’s the role?
Northwestern Mutual (NM) has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 161 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and leading-edge technology to best serve our clients.
Data is a critical driver of this approach, and a cornerstone for how NM engages with its customers. To help guide our efforts, we are seeking a Lead Data Engineer to provide leadership and expertise to energetic and driven data engineering teams. This role will guide both existing feature delivery to allow NM to meet functionality needs for our clients and field, as well as partner across the data organization to mature the data ecosystem at NM.
What you’ll get to do:
- Define data integration frameworks, methods, guidelines and principles. Apply subject matter expertise to data integration processes to make improvements and recommendations for change including execution.
- Collaborate with source system technical owners, Product Owners, and Infrastructure resources to create data integration solutions to move and transform data from Source systems to on premise ODS, Data Warehouse environments and to the AWS cloud.
- Ability to create designs following established data integration patterns and establish new patterns to meet business needs
- Provide data integration subject matter expertise to the team covering ETL/ELT, replication, streaming, and virtualization. Can explain complex concepts to others and establish business value of solutions
- Complete design, code review and test case reviews to improve and set the bar for the quality of the delivery. Providing guidance for the engineering team while designing the data integration applications
- Maintain ETL/Data integration agile management stories with delivery to dates to ensure Safe Agile processes are adhered to
- Provide guidance to ETL team members and other users of the Informatica production across the enterprise
- Remain current on industry specific knowledge and emerging technologies
- Hands on development with various technologies including Informatica, AWS capabilities, Kafka, Java and others
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field
- 7+ years of experience in data engineering or related field
- Data systems architecture experience, designing larger scale data engineering solutions, break down to smaller goals, prioritization
- Experience with relational data engineering eco systems (preferably complex disbursed data)
- Understand batch and real-time data integration patterns include ETL experience (Informatica, SSIS, DataStage, etc), data replication, data streaming, virtualization, etc
- Experience in writing and executing complex SQL’s
- AWS Cloud experience with Kafka, API’s, Ansible etc.
- Able to build CICD pipeline for deployments
- Experience in end to end data engineering solutions
- Demonstrated success in coaching/mentoring others
- Individuals who show a strong sense of ownership for their deliverables
- Ability to work across the organization and communicate effectively to various levels
- Ability to problem solve independently and drive for results through others. Ability to layout a solution and break it down into parts to allow for delivery through teams
- Database administration experience
- Cloud experience, preferably AWS, is a strong plus
- Financial Services industry background
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups