At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
This opportunity is an excellent way to craft and lead the technology teams that are passionate about delivering data and decision-making solutions to the investment professionals who manage Northwestern Mutual’s $282 billion general account. The general account is invested across various public and private fixed income and equity asset classes with the goal of generating superior risk-adjusted returns while preserving the company's exceptional financial strength. This time-tested strategy fundamentally supports Northwestern Mutual's best-in-class product value and ability to deliver lifelong financial security to its policyowners and clients.
You will be a part of a key transformational initiative aiming to reimagine the investment lifecycle and deliver modern solutions to enhance the investment decision making process. You will participate in realizing the technology for both operational and analytical use cases and will have a visible impact on building a brand-new digital platform for Managed Investments. If you are looking for an opportunity to build the future and play an active role in a strategic area of our company, this is an opportunity for you!
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead a highly visible data engineering role, representing the Managed Investments area of Northwestern Mutual.
- Lead approach, strategy, architecture, and engineering for a new innovative and disruptive modern data analytics platform that delivers phenomenal user experience for investment teams.
- Apply engineering best practices to analyze, design, develop, deploy, and support software solutions.
- Influence team members through lean agile leadership.
- Mentor on Software Craftsmanship and Quality Standards.
- Develop software using continuous Deployment and integration practices.
- Participate in an Agile implementation and maintenance of source control and release procedures.
- Participate in Code Reviews and feedback to the team
- Mentor technical members of the team.
- Contribute to a collaborative work environment in which all team members are respected regardless of their individual differences and are motivated to improve both their individual and team contributions.
- Identify data quality issues and their root causes. Propose fixes and design data audits.
- Translate technology trends into scalable solutions for the Managed Investment domain.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 6-8 years of professional experience.
- At least 6 years of professional software engineering, debugging, analysis, testing and software documentation experience.
- Advanced programming skills.
- Code Knowledge: Python, Java, SQL.
- Experience with Agile methodologies/DevOps environment.
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Strong understanding of Data Quality and Data Concepts.
- Strong understanding of Data Integration Patterns and Tooling including ELT/ETL, EII, Replication, Event Streaming and Virtualization to support batch and real-time data needs.
- Breadth and depth of experience in areas like application platforms, integration patterns, event-driven architecture, Master Data Management.
- Experience with both on-premises and cloud-based data architecture.
- Hands-on experience with a variety of data stores, both operational and analytical.
- Previous participation in large-scale enterprise technology planning and implementation.
- Previous experience with data warehouses, data lakes, RDDBMS, and NoSQL stores, such as: MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Snowflake, Databricks, Redshift.
- Previous experience with metadata catalogs such as Collibra, Informatica EDC, others.
- Provides a Strong Agile Lean Servant-Leader Model.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving skills.
- Previous experience building and delivering complex data platforms
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups