At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Luna Engineering Team builds the design system (Luna) at the heart of the Product practice at NM. We build the design system tools used to deliver consistent, accessible, and cohesive experiences in our advisor platform, client portal, and home office experiences.
On this team as an Associate Software Engineer, you will have an opportunity to work on high-value, high-visibility projects that empower the rest of our engineering teams to ship more efficiently, with more consistent, accessible, and responsive products.
- Contribute to the constellation of libraries, tools, and artifacts that comprise the Luna system
- Collaborate with visual designers to create, document, and express composable UI elements in a number of environments (Figma, HTML/CSS, React, mobile native) leveraging system foundations and patterns
- Maintain CI/CD pipelines and build scripting we use to publish and deploy our tooling
- Write visual-regression, unit, and integration tests to ensure system stability
- Document and evangelize best practices for markup semantics, accessibility, responsiveness, React architecture, and general Luna component usage
- Provide support to Luna-consuming engineering teams
- Partner with external teams to create shared tools and library integrations
- Create and perform code reviews & API proposals for your peers
- Excellent written/spoken communication skills
- An open, proactively collaborative attitude
- A systematic approach to problem-solving
- Practical use of over semantic, responsive, cross-browser, accessible HTML/CSS & WAI ARIA
- Exposure to advanced React concepts like context, controlled/uncontrolled behavior, hooks, and state management
- Comfortable working in the Browser ecosystem, including concepts like the DOM and CSS’s cascade
- Proficient with Git and the Command Line
- Have worked with visual design concepts like typography, color, spacing, shape & form
- Experience collaborating directly with designers
- Experience with contributing to OSS
- Experience writing NPM tooling
- Have experimented with SVG
- Familiar with Markdown, Semantic Versioning, Conventional Commits, etc
- Experience maintaining CI:CD pipelines
- Experience using design tokens
- Proficiency with Sass or Styled Components
- Proficient in at least one: React, Web Components, Vue, Angular
- Curious minds and an appetite for learning
- A personality that thrives in an agile/nimble environment
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups