At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY, LLC , located in Milwaukee, WI, is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company with over $240 billion in assets under management (AUM). The Public Investment department manages over $120 billion of total AUM and provides fixed income expertise to Northwestern Mutual and its affiliate corporations, including the foundation and retirement plan.
BASIC FUNCTION :
The primary responsibility of this role will be to conduct credit research in designated sectors and recommend investment grade bond investments consistent with portfolio strategy and return objectives. This role will work closely with the Head of Investment Grade Credit Research and the Credit Research team, Portfolio Managers, and Traders. This role will also collaborate with the Investment Strategy, Investment Risk & Operations, Compliance and Law departments.
- Monitor and opine on assigned industry and sector dynamics.
- Conduct thorough fundamental credit analysis on investments within assigned industries/sectors. This includes a complete assessment of quantitative and qualitative factors, including financial statement analysis, financial policy, management track record, and credit ratings profile.
- Determine relative value of specific issuers and bonds vs. comparable issuers.
- Provide investment recommendations on coverage universe based on a risk/return context, current portfolio strategy, fundamental credit view and relative value. Adapt recommendations to specific portfolio return objectives.
- Produce concise written research and verbally articulate credit strengths and risks to portfolio managers and traders.
- Develop and maintain external relationships with Wall Street analysts and strategists, credit rating agencies and independent research firms as well as company management.
GROUP/ ORGANIZATIONAL DYNAMIC:
- Promote a culture of mutual respect and high ethical standards.
- Adopt NM Behaviors: Client First, Powered by Our People, Future Focus.
- Exercise good judgment and independence in thought.
- Generate and lead process improvements through the effective use of technology and data science.
- Effectively respond in a timely manner to requests for data, opinions, and other information.
- Attend and lead/participate in group activities and engage others in relevant discussion.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience conducting credit analysis.
- Demonstrated command of relative value in a total return mandate.
- Master of Science or Master of Business Administration (MBA) preferred. Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on finance, accounting, economics, statistics or other related area.
- CFA designation or progress towards attaining the CFA designation required.
- Strong analytical skills, particularly in performing financial statement analysis, evaluating cross-sector relative value and presenting credit recommendations for potential investment opportunities.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize work.
- Ability to work independently, while promoting and contributing to a strong team dynamic.
- Proficient with Bloomberg/BQuant and Microsoft Office.
- Computer programming and/or data analytics capabilities.
Northwestern Mutual pays on a geographic-specific salary structure and placement in the salary range for this position will be determined by a number of factors including the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; the scope, complexity as well as the cost of labor in the market; and other conditions of employment. At Northwestern Mutual, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. Please note that the salary range listed in the posting is the standard pay structure. Positions in certain locations (such as California) may provide an increase on the standard pay structure based on the location. Please click here for additional information relating to location-based pay structures.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in California, Colorado, New York City, Washington or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.
FIND YOUR FUTURE
We’re excited about the potential people bring to Northwestern Mutual. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Flexible work schedules
Employee resource groups